1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morris Communications sells its newspapers to Gatehouse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ncdeen, Aug 9, 2017.

1. ncdeen

ncdeen Member

Morris Communications, the company that owns the paper I work at, announced this morning that our paper and just about every paper the company owns is being sold to Gatehouse. Should I be worried about my job?

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You should always be worried about your job no matter who writes your checks.

3. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

i hope it all works out for you. from what I've read morris will remain involved in some of the papers, at least in regards to the editorial page . might be better for you if you're at one of them,

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I used to be annoyed by job hoppers - people who left one job for another before ever making an impact. Today though, with the turnover - you always want to work for someone who was responsible for bringing you into the building. It might not change the inevitable, but you need every edge you can get when the layoffs come around. New supervisors like to bring in "their people."

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Nope. Morris is out completely.
    Morris Publishing sells The Florida Times-Union to GateHouse Media
    Closing date is Oct. 2. Sale price, according to GateHouse (which is public ... Morris didn't reveal it because it's still private) is $120 mill.
    In 1983, Morris bought the morning and afternoon papers in Jacksonville, plus St. Augustine (six days per week PM at the time) and a weekly in Crescent City for $235 mill.
    I''ve heard mixed things about GateHouse but truth be told, can they be any worse than Morris? At least it's not Gannett.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I expect GateHouse to spin off the Florida Times-Union, whose circulation is close to 100,000. That size doesn't fit their operational model.

7. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Morris will have some presence in Augusta. From their story:

"Billy Morris will continue as publisher of The Augusta Chronicle and will oversee editorial-page policy for the three Morris newspapers in Georgia."

In any case—as I said before, hope it works out for you

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

My last stop was a Morris paper. I was there when they declared bankruptcy because it was "an exciting opportunity to restructure our debt." That was about 6-7 years ago I believe. Furloughs and layoffs were only months behind. I honestly am surprised they stayed in the game that long after.

In the time since I left, the sports staff at the paper, which covers a major SEC school, has gone from 5 people and one regular freelancer to two - an SE and a beat writer.

Best of luck, @ncdeen. There's not telling what Gatehouse will do with the staffs, but as others have said, you should always have an exit strategy in this industry.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

From the announcement from my former paper:

As part of a strategic restructuring to focus its business on lifestyle publications, property development and new business, Morris Communications Co. announced today that it has signed an agreement to sell the assets of Morris Publishing Group to GateHouse Media.

Lifestyle publications, property development and new business? Can anyone explain that?

10. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Gatehouse bought the Columbus Dispatch last year so they have been trying to get some bigger publications lately.

11. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Gatehouse will more than likely move all page design/production from your paper to its design hub in Austin, Texas. And it'll probably offer buyouts to try to pare down staff to a number it prefers.

Oh, and expect travel budgets and expenses to be slashed if they aren't already low. Tis the Gatehouse way.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Thank God people still have somewhere to turn for "Well actually" editorials on slavery.

Draft saved Draft deleted