1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morris closing Atlanta bureau

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Sep 17, 2007.

1. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Nothing to do with Atlanta, but I work for a Morris paper, and our copy desk has been running on fumes for 3 months, now, and we're not allowed to hire anybody.

Shit's depressing.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

And the Athens paper can't use the Billy jet anymore to cover Georgia road games, which was one of the few perks of the job.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Interesting. I didn't know that. Fucking figures, of course. You know how they're doing it now?

4. the sports people should have been making money or coming close to even with the revenues from selling the copy across the state. jeez. now just one paper fully staffing the braves and tech.

5. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Apparently, those papers that used Morris to cover Braves games are now running AP gamers. This morning's game coverage was Newberry. I know in the very recent past Morris' Braves guy didn't make every road trip, but this a sure sign of the end when a home game is AP coverage in papers that have been MNS stuff buyers.

6. Probably like every other paper in America -- driving and/or booking commercial flights.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I was told last night that Van Brimmer's move was pre-determined and had nothing to do w/ the closing.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I meant more along the lines of how many they're sending and when. Used to be the only person not working on Friday nights was the Georgia beat guy. The advantage of the Billy jet was they could leave a lot closer to game time. Gonna be awfully difficult to get four people to Arkansas for an 11:30 a.m. kickoff when you can't leave until 6 a.m. Saturday, and that's not even factoring in things like delays.

But, hey, thanks for the smart-assed comment.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I think they're sending less people on the road. Don't know if a photographer is one of them.

The great thing about having the jet was we could send four writers and two photographers to away games, and be home by midnight.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

With a jet already on retainer/owned by the firm, how much does it cost to fire it up and send those folks out?

Would they really be saving by the time commercial flights, hotel rooms (which weren't a factor with a same-day flight turnaround), per diems, etc., are factored in?

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Look, that's the kind of forward thinking and rational thought that has NO PLACE in the Morris corporation.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if they forgot to do routine maintenance on the jet and its flightworthiness certificate was revoked.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Just heard from the bossman. It's true. Not happy about this at all. Poor Brian.

Draft saved Draft deleted