1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morris Braves Beat Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Mar 7, 2007.

1. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Good for Brian, good for them. That's an excellent hire. I visited with Brian recently and he was very high on my list. I believe some members have a term for youngsters like him but I won't be so crass as to say it. He does have a promising future in our business.

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Defending your honor Mr. Ga. Tech :D

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Stick around longer Adam, I'm sure you'll pick up a few other nick names around here. Carrie's back, so twatwaffle designations will likely come in abundance.

4. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

VanBrimmer isn't a chump. In my opinion, he's the best writer there. Not sure who hockeybeat is, but some of the guys they had last week didn't do a very good job. I don't know if they were trying out different guys for the job or were just looking for anyone to cover the Braves until the job was filled, but it wasn't worth the money we're paying for the service.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

I agree that aside from Van Brimmer the copy wasn't stellar. They had their NASCAR guy doing some nights just to fill in. Aside from him, I thought it was OK.

6. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

The "Mr. Ga Tech" nickname hurts a lot worse than "chump." Then again, I'm called a Ugag homer every day on the Tech message boards largely because the Athens paper is in the chain. Go figure.

We did rotate some people onto the coverage when we got caught with Final Four/Masters weekends. I will defend Coble, though. He is a solid writer and in my opinion you would be hard pressed to find a better guy on the NASCAR beat. Keep in mind, folks, he is doing the Braves on the road on top of his NASCAR duties. Even high-quality writers get worn down by a grueling schedule. I know a serviceable guy like me was completely tapped out by the end of the Braves' homestand last week. You go back through your copy before you send it (hopefully) and find the most rudimentary errors imaginable.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

No offense intended by the Tech line :D I know it must kill you to have to shill out for them lol. I have my own opinions on Coble's writing. (I was trying not to name names) But yes, he does do a lot and has a grueling travel schedule for the most part.

8. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

I actually enjoy covering Tech. They do everything with class, for the most part, and Chan Gailey and Paul Hewitt are two pretty good guys to work with. The fans' inferiority complex when it comes to UGA is tiresome, but then again, the UGA smugness is too. What ever happened to respecting the foe you hate? That's how we do it in Ohio, at least those with a basic understanding of sports and the rivalry with Michigan.

9. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

What did Mr. Costa cover at the Herald?

10. I believe he was an intern who did a wide variety of work, but mostly preps. But I could be wrong. Perhaps he was full time.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, buzzboy. Everything's better in Ohio ... 8)

12. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

I don't know Adam, this whole denying being a chump thing ....

Remember, I once saw you hit a tee shot backwards.

And when did you start respecting Michigan?

Draft saved Draft deleted