1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moron Spurlock

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

What a pile of obvious shit this Super Size Me is.

I can't believe anyone watched this, much less gave it awards.

He just said the average New Yorker walks 4.5 miles a day.

I'm calling major bullshit on that.

With that subway system?

2. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Yeah, this doesn't make him look very good either: http://willdo.philadelphiaweekly.com/archives/2006/03/hatboro_horsham.html

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Time's up Spurlock. 15 minutes have come and gone.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Actually, I like the show 30 Days. Just discovered it recently in repeats ... and it got renewed for a third season, so better rewind that clock.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I thought SuperSize me was very informative.

Who knew it was so unhealthy to eat McDonald's every day? The film is a fucking revelation!

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Actually, the average American walks about four miles per day. That's regardless of location.

I think Spurlock does a great job showing the public how fast food affects the body over the short term. But he comes off as a little holier-than-thou, and he clearly overdoes it. I mean, the guy eats fast food for every meal. That's all fine and good, but almost nobody eats every meal of the day at a fast-food restaurant. Even those who only eat fast food tend to skip some meals. His show 30 Days is great, but he tends to pick extreme cases when he needs to make a point. For example, he'll pick an evangelical family that is quick to announce that others are going to hell. Then he pits that person against a far left atheist who resents everything about religion.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I liked the movie.
    I still think an occasional Big Mac won't hurt, but when you eat them all the time, as he demonstrated, you're going to have problems.
    Moderation, folks.

8. ChrisLittmann

ChrisLittmann Member

The people who say "Well no kidding McDonald's isn't healthy!" weren't paying attention or went in with a biased perception about the movie. The movie was based on litigation that said just the opposite. His point was to simply refute this and document it. You may know it wasn't healthy, but someone actually didn't.

9. And what about Janet Jackson exposing herself during the Super Bowl? What's up with that?

It's just a jump to the left
    And then a step to the right...

10. Well all know fast food is unhealthy, but how can you watch that film and not be shocked at just how badly he breaks down so quickly? Honestly, I haven't eaten McDonald's since seeing that -- as much to keep from giving that corporation my money as for my own health.
    Did you all watch the extra scene with the fries not breaking down at all over like eight months?

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Another thing about that movie is how it showed what the school systems are doing in their cafeterias and snack machines. Ridiculous.

12. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I think Spurlock's work is interesting. He has a specific point of view, he's documenting what's out there, and what's generally being ignored by the masses.

Draft saved Draft deleted