1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moroccan T-Shirt of the Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, May 14, 2008.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Moroccans, as a rule, don't speak English. They do, however, wear US clothes, and I maintain they have absolutely no idea what the hell they say.

Such as the jallaba-wearing man with the "FBI: Firm Believer in Jesus" hat. (I've seen this twice.)

Or the big, burly fella wearing a jacket that with "Boy Toy" across it.

Or the 3-year-old with a T-shirt reading "Cock Tease"

The Nordiques-jersey wearing kid at my youth center seemed to have a clue it was sports team, but this is the world where everyone wearing a Yankees hat thinks they're a rugby team.

But as a recovering journalist, I got a kick out of one I saw last night:

"You have the right to remain silent. If you violate that right, you will be misquoted and anything you say will be used against you."
  2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I imagine this is fairly common in foreign countries that ape US styles. In Israel, my buddy was at a wedding where one guy took "casual attire" to a new meaning, wearing a T-shirt that read: International Sperm Donor.
  3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Nothing tops KJIM's original, "FBI: Firm Believer in Jesus," because the acronym doesn't even work. Hilarious.
  4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

KJIM, I saw that last one in a Chick-Fil-A north of Houston a few days ago.

And the Japanese are notorious for wearing these types of shirts as well. Apparently they don't care what the words say, just that they're in English.
  5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

The FBI shirt is classic. I'd say the three-year-old cock tease would be the funniest, but i could see a high-end baby boutique selling it.
  6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Much like Americans who wear clothing, or get tattoos, with Japanese characters that they can't even understand.

I love reading the stories about kids getting tattoos like that thinking it looks tough and the tattoo artist uses characters that spell out something like "I'm a big weenie"
  7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Good point. I'd love to see how many people truly aren't aware of what those symbols/letters might really mean. And do I really want to trust my average, everyday tat artist to understand Mandarin symbols?
  8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I bought a "Clif's Notes" trucker hat in the souks of Marrakesh for $5 back in 01.
  9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Anyone know the story of the signs in Chinese when Yao was drafted?

I'm at a football practice one August bullshitting with an assistant. One of the freshmen, two days on campus, comes out and starts stretching right next to us. He's got some Asian shit up and down his leg.

"Know what that means?" the coach says to me.
    "It means, 'I'm a big fat fucking loser!'"

I broke up. Poor kid had been there two days, he couldn't tell the coach to fuck off, he didn't know me from Adam. Look on his face was priceless.
  10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I have a T-shirt with Kanji that reads "Looking for a Japanese girlfriend" written on it. I love when I see Japanese people pointing and giggling, assuming I don't know what it says. I know exactly what it says.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Somehow the other day I wound up on a site that will let you get customized shirts and jerseys for just about any high school, junior high or elementary school you can think of ... including Tennessee's state juvenile prison.

My brother turns 28 at the end of the month. I'm thinking of making an investment.
Draft saved Draft deleted