1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morning Joe, Brewed by Starbucks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jun 1, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm in this camp: Would media entities rather not have to do this sort of thing? Sure. In newpapers or my current job, doing editorial unencumbered by financial concerns would always be the optimum.

Is that a realistic approach anymore? Certainly, no.

Also, I've always -- well, certainly in the past five years -- been kind of curmudgeonly on this "where do you draw the line" business?

You draw the line where the sponsor tries to tell you what your editorial content can be. And say, "No."

Now, if your company bends on that front and LETS the sponsor tell you what your editorial content can be, then all is lost, anyway.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Howard Shultz is going to be interviewed in the next segment.

Mika teased it by saying, "what's next for the world's largest coffee chain -- hmm, let me have a sip of my latte -- Starbucks CEO Howard Shultz joins us straight ahead. We'll talk to him about his plans for the future of his company."

I'm sure it will be a hard hitting interview.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. YankeeFan

Yeah, but cigarets were good for you back then. (So was Guinness beer.)

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really not much different from actors who show up on the late night shows.

Only reason they appear is that they have a new movie or book to sell.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I dunno what this is all about, but they debuted the cocoa cappuchino today, and it's pretty damned good.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In the grand Mika tradition.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think Morning Joe has perfect tone for Morning Program.

Fairly topical , eclectic range of guests, little fluff like Today show and not to intense for that early in morning.

No doubt this will draw debate but I also think show is fairly balanced politically.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The future of Starbucks?

Why don't they interview the CEO of McDonald's? That person has more effect on what happens at Burnt Coffee USA than anyone.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I agree, but I find Mika still to be awful and worthless to the show.

11. YankeeFan

Shultz was "celebrating" the 40th anniversary of Starbucks.

They interviewed him from the first Starbucks store in Seattle, which isn't really the first Starbucks store.

12. YankeeFan

She's getting more and more unwatchable.

She's constantly playing "mom" to the unruly "boys" on the set. She gets so upset if they want to talk about Charlie Sheen or some other silly topic.

And, her lecturing on nutrition is much more annoying than anything Michelle Obama has ever said.

Draft saved Draft deleted