1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More yardage questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TyWebb, Oct 21, 2007.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Correct.
    I've said this on this board before, but I am amazed at how many people in this industry do not understand the rules/how to keep stats of the game they cover. I understanad our main job is to write, but not knowing a rule, or how to keep a stat, will eventually hurt us as it makes it's way into copy. And this industry is hurting enough without us making it harder on ourselves.
    Go to the NCAA manuals (most everything is online), go to NFHS and pay a few bucks to get a rule/stat book if you want.
    You aren't going to learn everything about every sport, but you owe it to yourself (and more importantly your readers) and your readers to know how an error is defined in baseball, what an ace is in volleyball, and that a spike to stop the clock is not a pass attempt by the QB, as these are very commonplace in these sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted