1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More yahoos with way too much time on their hands

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, May 6, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think you're making up assumptions about what that minister does without actually having a clue.

Am I right?

There's no way London is hosting the Olympics in 2012 without the help of the British government, or putting in a bid for the 2018 Soccer world cup or the 2015 Rugby world cup.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Note to self: Move to London.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I also think it's a dumb idea -- unless they are willing to hire me!

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well, we've already hosted that stuff without this position and department being created -- so why do we need it? Oh that's right, to grow the beauracracy and grow the size of government and create a need for more taxes to be created........

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

As rational as you can be, sometimes, I don't understand what it is that makes you go so completely off the rails.

6. zagoshe

How am I off the rails?

We have already hosted Olympics, we have already hosted the World Cup, if for some ungodly reason we'd ever want to host the Rugby World Cup, I'm sure we could do that too.......

But did you even read the story?

This czar is going to be put in place to increase accessibility and funding of sports to women (translation -- somone to bitch and moan about Title IX not being nearly enough) and disabilities.

Title IX compliance is already being monitored by government and the American with Disabilities Act has a lot of teeth.

This is would be a political act aimed at growing the scope of government into an area where we don't need it. Nothing more, nothing less.

And frankly, given the disaster that took place the last time the executive branch created a department with a cabinet level position -- do we really want to try their hand at this one?

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You're saying that which this group would have done onto is that which the British government's minister for sport does.

Which is not in any way true. If anything, the amount of sports in schools has vastly reduced since the position was introduced, with former playing fields being sold to supermarkets.

By the way, Chicago's bid for 2016, and the U.S. Soccer Federations bid for the 2018/2022 World Cup would like a word. If whatever administration is in office when those are selected isn't behind the bids, there's a reduced chance they, and the revenues they bring, come to the U.S.

8. zagoshe

I'm not even sure what this means.

I'm saying this group wants this position to be a Title IX enforcer -- something we already have. Read the article that is posted.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So, basically, sport should be a purely private enterprise, with only those that can afford equipment and club fees allowed to play?

Shouldn't there be greater encouragement, and facility, for people to have a chance to play sports? Government funding has greatly helped sports in Britain, Australia and other countries.

10. zagoshe

Sports aren't -- and we certainly don't need to create another huge bearacracy to achieve any of these goals.

We are achieving them already and sports are doing just fine here in America.

Hence the original point - this is an asinine suggestion.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Which is exactly what you were saying here.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The education system in America already takes care of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted