1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More whining parents

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, Nov 14, 2010.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Which in and of itself makes it important.

If people want to read it, it's important.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Or you can contribute to the paper by going hwere your sports editor tells you to.

Ask if he/she could send someone else, sure. Flat-out refuse? No, not anytwhere I have worked.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I've found that extra points in high school are far from automatic like they are at the higher levels.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

90 minutes is a lot.

Who turned you down?

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Don't know which state you're from, but here referees only tell the coaches which kid committed the penalty.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, you're already admitting that you wouldn't write the name of a kid who missed an extra point attempt so as to not take crap from people. Why should we believe you when you say in the next breath that you're some kind of hard-hitting, fearless investigative reporter? Sorry, dude, I'm not trying to be mean here, but I don't buy the latter if you're admitting to the former.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Do you say "the team" threw an interception in the final minute? Did "the team" fumble on the goal line. If a kid missed a conversion in the first quarter of a game his team lost 41-6, no big deal. If they score on the last play of the game to cut it to 14-13, and he misses, the name must go in. Do your freaking job.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You don't see the difference between pursuing stories that are important to the community - involving ADULTS - and calling out a 16-year-old for throwing an interception or missing an extra point?

Like I said, there are mitigating circumstances. But in most cases, when it's a run-of-the-mill extra point, it's not a battle worth fighting. All reporters make those kinds of decisions in the line of duty.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I guess what I'm saying is that when it comes to kids, judge it on a case-by-case basis, and tread relatively lightly. You should at least have some degree of empathy for the 16-year-old student-athlete you are writing about.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I, of course, agree with Dick.

These are underage children (mostly, I know there are a few 18-year-olds) participating in an extra-curricular activity for educational purposes. If you want to slant the coverage positively, wear the scrapbooker title with pride.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

If you're on the sideline . . .

JUST KIDDING!

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Which is exactly why I'm against most coverage of high school sports in the first place.

Draft saved Draft deleted