1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More whining parents

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, Nov 14, 2010.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I was thinking along the lines of, oh nevermind. No one cares. ;)

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What did you say? I probably fall on the be-nice-to-high schools side most of the time, but I can't see how you fail to name the kid on the line at the end of the game.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I say put the blame on the coach for not going for 2 and the win.

4. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

This.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Dick,

I requested to speak to the kid and was turned down. I had less than 90 minutes to do interviews, compile stats, drive to a location from which to file and write the thing. Often in these situations, time doesn't allow you to talk to every single player or whomever. I did get four players and both head coaches.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Funny, he had planned to (which shocked the heck out of me in a season-on-the-line situation). But they lined up to go for 2 and got a false start which pushed the ball back five yards (yes, that was detailed in the story). Then he went for the kick and the tie (which made perfect sense).

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Did you name who committed the penalty?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

At this level, we don't cover this stuff because it is important. We cover it because it sells papers.

9. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

We are ordered to talk to the kids in any high school story, even if it's just one, because it's less coachspeak that makes it into the paper.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Is it important to name the kids who scored the touchdowns?

The philosophy that was pounded into my head by the late, great Wilbur Doctor at the University of Rhode Island is that you are the eyes and ears of the reader who could not be there.

Anyone there saw the kid miss.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The coach of the No. 1 Class C team in the state made that call Saturday and lost the game. But he lost it with style.

(He had no decent kicker)

12. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

But you don't under
    Umm..from what I gather...it was the game-loser. Like...he missed it and the other team won. Would be hard to write a story saying Podunk lost to Shittyville 48-47 in overtime but not tell HOW they lost. What's the point in even writing the story if not?

Draft saved Draft deleted