1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Wedding Hassels. What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how your wife gave birth the first time.

Sorry to be graphic, but if she delivered your first vaginally... They say the first "paves the way" for the second. I've had many friends who had super-fast labor with their second and didn't even have time for an epidural even though they wanted one. I also have a friend who delivered her second in the parking lot of a hospital.

Now, if your wife were like me...................... :D ............. I'm somewhat of a fortress down there....... (sorry TMI) .......... and have large babies. I had a c-section with my first mainly because she wouldn't budge. Everytime I have my cervical length checked (a way to assess your chances of going into labor anytime soon)... It's zipped up like there's no tomorrow. So, knowing how I am, I would let Mr. Lugs go to the wedding by himself in this situation.

But what does your wife think? That's important.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Lugnuts is right - the second delivery could be much faster than the first. The labor for our second child was 1 hour, 5 minutes - some sort of record, I'm sure.

Definitely see what her doctor says.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Poor Pete. Nobody ever takes Pete's life into consideration when planning their weddings.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Don't hoff the Hassels

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think you should call every member of your family and tell them what a bitch your sister is for scheduling her wedding to conflict with the birth of your child. Encourage them all not to attend the wedding, or if they feel compelled to go, don't bring a gift.

Then you should call the hotel where your sister is staying on her wedding night and cancel the reservation.

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My sister-in-law did the same thing to us, except in reverse. Scheduled her wedding a whole two weeks after the baby's due date -- partially out of convenience to us. Hey, the baby will be born by then and all, right? I guess it was nice of her to think of us, but she obviously didn't think of the trouble of traveling (by plane) and then doing a large family celebration. We had a 2-year-old to take along as well. We didn't love it but made the arrangements to go. Flight attendant said she's never seen a baby so little on a plane. It worked out OK, but I would have loved for the baby to be a little older. She could have waited a month with no real problems.

I think your whole family could swing it, especially if there is decent care available where the wedding is if needed (your doctor will probably ask you to make sure of that) and the fact you'll have a lot of family there. But labor is an unpredictable thing, obviously, and the new kid could come in 18 hours once it starts or 90 minutes. In the end, even though it is your sister, you have to do what's best for your very immediate family.

It's interesting that your sister doesn't want you to steal the day, but how will that work out if your wife goes into labor during the ceremony?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Top to bottom, mine might be as screwed up... but everyone can make poopies and we don't get together as much... Oh, and trade the Jewish mother for one who instills Catholic guilt.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Dear (anyone attending a wedding as a guest):

You. Are. Inconsequential.

While we would like your attendance at our nuptials, this entire day is ours to do with and plan for as we see fit, and nothing else nor anyone else really matters. The same applied to you when you got married or will apply to you when you get married. Every day on the calendar is of some inconvenience to someone who may or may not attend, and we do not feel like running all the logarithms to see which day is the least inconvenient for the greatest amount of people.

So we'll see you at the wedding . . . unless we don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted