1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More trip advice: Philly

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Aug 5, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Very cool.

What's the deal with the metro system there? We're driving up, but would it be easier to get around by car or by metro? I know very little on the parking situation there.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I haven't taken the subway in Philly in many, many years, but I've had good luck with buses. Parking in the Center City/Old City area can be a pain and you'll have to feed meters. There's a great garage on 17th and Vine (I think - it's across the numbered street from the Sheraton) that's $5 per 24 hours on the weekends. No in and out, but depending on where you're staying, it could be a good place to stash your car. There are lots of cabs around and they're not too expensive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

No overnight stay. Just a quick up and back. I'm guessing we'll be in town for seven, eight hours, maybe.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

It depends on where you're going to be honest. I believe you said that you are driving. If that is the cases, many of the places that have been discussed here are good power walks away so you won't have to use public transportation. Also, remember that SEPTA, the city's public transportation system, operates on a weekend schedule. And since you're coming in on a Saturday, the wait will be longer than ususal.
    If you had a game plan of what you want to do and see, myself, Dyno, or others could better tell you how to get around.

5. JackReacher

Yeah. I'm learning more about the travel situation with the more research I do. We may take metro to a few places, but some of the places we want to go, we'll have to drive. No biggie, though. Just trying to cover all my bases.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I'm pretty sure Bookbinder's is dead. If it isn't, it should be.

I always bring tourists to the Reading Terminal Market, especially on a Saturday morning. Never met anyone who didn't like it.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bookbinder's is very much alive.

8. JackReacher

A friend at work told me about this place...anyone ever been?

http://www.monkscafe.com/body.cfm?&nav=nav&data=dirs#

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Terminal Market is cool. There is a cheesesteak place in there. I think it's Rick's. They serve it Geno's style - not shredded. I prefer the original Pat's technique. Slap the sliced steak on the griddle and shred it with the spatula as it cooks.
    I'm a big fan of Jim's, but I really think the place to go on an initial visit is the original Pat's. It's a tradition more than anything else.

If you go to see Eastern State Penitentiary, you'll be right next to Jack's Firehouse on Fairmount. That place is fantastic. Very cool and the food is great. It's a restaurant in an old, 19th century firehouse across the street from Eastern State. I love that place. Jack McDavid also has a place in the Terminal Market called Down-Home Diner.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Definitely a good spot to get your ass kicked around midnight. A little too dark for me but monk's is OK.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Great call on Reading Terminal. With all the great restaurants in Philly, there's no reason to go to Bookbinder's.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Gotta disagree. You go to Bookbinder's for the experience of saying you went to Bookbinder's. It's always been that way. It's a Philadelphia institution.

Draft saved Draft deleted