1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More trip advice: Philly

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Aug 5, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nah. Going to Geno's. And honestly, it's chopped steak. One place can't be much better than another. Plus, we're going for the cliche experience.

Thought about catching Marlins at Phillies, but the wife put an end to that. :)

Edit: apparently, Geno's is sliced. Pat's is chopped.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Get a meal at Bookbinders in the Society Hill section. Their specialty, turtle soup, didn't do anything for me but the rest of the menu rocks.

http://www.bookbinders.biz/

The Sheraton around the corner from the restaurant is a good hotel conveniently located, too. i usually stay there when I'm in town.

And a special thanks to IJAG....

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At 5 p.m. Sunday in Asbury Park, N.J., Juliette Lewis' band is playing at the Stone Pony.

It's only 75 miles from Philly.

(She's opening for The Pretenders)

Edit: And, it's pretty much a straight shot.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/Philadelphia+PA/ASBURY+PARK+NJ/#a/maps/l:::philadelphia:pA::US:39.952202:-75.1642:city:philadelphia+County:1/l:::Asbury+Park:NJ::US:40.220299:-74.012497:city:Monmouth+County:1/m::7:40.078693:-74.588229:0:::::1:1:1::/io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, it's not really chopped steak. It is thinly sliced. Geno's puts it on the sandwich whole. Pat's rips it up as it is cooking, which is the more common technique.
    I just wanted to clarify because 'chopped steak' makes it sound like a hamburger steak, which are often listed as chopped steak on menus.

I love Jim's down on South Street, but Pat's is not cliche - it's tradition. It's the original, and that's why you should go to Pat's instead of Geno's.

Personally, I've always thought the Liberty Bell a bore. Independence Hall and the Constitution Center are much better.

The Art Museum is fantastic, but keep in mind it is not near the Old City or South Philly.

I highly recommend Frederick's on Front Street.

Bookbinder's is a Philly institution.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I corrected myself about the chopped thing. Thanks for the other info. In fact, I might go to both Pat's and Geno's both.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There was a Bookbinder's in Richmond, though I never went. Heard RAVE reviews about it, though.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Pat's. More later when I get out of a meeting. Philly has a lot of really nice BYOB restaurants if you have any wine you want to bring from home.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Mutter Museum of medical oddities is fun and interesting. And you can see most of the good stuff in an hour or two so it shouldn't eat up your whole day:

http://www.collphyphil.org/mutter.asp

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Campo's near Independence Park. People working there were super nice and the cheesesteak was great. They also gave me free cheesecake for some reason. It too was great.

Do see Independence Hall if you have time. Liberty Bell however is not worth it if there is a line.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Eat the bread.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ryno, take the Mrs. to Bookbinders. Tell them that you don't know me, and you might get a discount. Seriously, Penns Landing should have something for you and from there you can walk to South Street and see the freaks and what have you that come out at night. There will be plenty of police presence in the area so you should feel safe. Don't go to Pats or Geno's. Do go to Jim's and I recommend the one in West Philadelphia. However since you'll be on South Street, go to that one. The Mutter Museum, the African American Historical and Cultural Museum, and the Franklin Institute are all must sees. The U.S. Mint will be closed. Have fun. Give me a holler and I might spring for a martini for you and the Mrs. Are you staying at the Marriot or just taking the train up for the day?

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

La Terrasse is a very nice place for dinner or drinks.
    Penns Landing can be a nice stroll, and the used the be a Dock Street brew pub located down there.
    I almost forgot about the Mutter. That is a funky little museum.
    I love the Franklin Institute, although I haven't been there in ages.
    Nick's Roast Beef = thumbs up.
    Tin Angel can be a cool place. Very small and gets some cool performers (Dar Williams, Jill Sobule, etc.) I have never eaten at the restaurant downstairs though. It's called Serrano, I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted