1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More trip advice: Philly

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Aug 5, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Taking the wife to Philly on Saturday. Any suggestions on things to see, places to eat, other cool things to check out?

I've been once, but it was a complete blur. I'll remember this trip.

Thanks, as always. These type of threads are the best thing about this site, I think.

Have at it.....
  2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Touch Ryan Howard for me.

Also, don't go to "fantasy camp."

3. imjustagirl

Oh, and go see these guys. :D

4. JackReacher

Oh man. Now I'm getting horny for Sunny in Philly. Sept. 17, correct?
  5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We went to a Cajun joint on South Street - Nola, I think? Very good. Also 15 years ago so it may be gone.
    There's a bell there that is pretty famous.
  6. imjustagirl

18th according to that video.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Old City is great. We went to visit my family a couple of years ago. The GF had never been to the East Coast, so I took her down to see the Independence Hall, etc. I hadn't been there since I was a kid. And they've done a nice job with the Constitution Center.
    Go to Pat's.
  8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The only time I've been there I did the Independence Hall thing....thought it was somewhat underwhelming compared to, say, Monticello, but if you like history at all I'd consider it mandatory.

edit: This was probably 10-12 years ago, so I'm not familiar with the changes Buck refers to, and it may be improved from when I went.
  9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Pat's Steaks. It's in a neighborhood just off Broad Street. Really easy to get to though. Incredibly good cheese steaks. No matter how gross you think it is, get them with whiz. Plus Boyz II Men shot a video there.
  10. JackReacher

We're prolly going to Geno's. I know, I know. Pat's....Geno's....tourist trap and terrible. We're still going. Last time was in town -- the only time i've been there -- I was the victim of a hit-and-run at 3 a.m. on some dumpy street in S. Philly. Hopefully, we'll actually make it to Geno's this time.

But yes, Head...definitely wit cheeze. Love me some cheeze wiz.

Actually, the reason we're going is to eat at this Italian joint, Osteria. We saw a thing on the Food Network about their pizza, which led us to plan a trip this weekend.

Not too big on history, but we'll prolly take pics of the bell. That's about it for that, though.

We might see the Rocky steps and statue for shits and giggles.
  11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Don't go to Pat's or Geno's, for the love of God — unless you want the cliche experience. Go to Jim's if you want the best.
  12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Learn the proper use of this phrase:

"the fuck you lookin' at?"
Draft saved Draft deleted