1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Tribune layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Aug 15, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

I know it's a private matter to many, but I sure am curious to know who the folks are who got laid off. (From what I read, those who get dumped involuntarily receive the same package as those who left "voluntarily.")

Stunning that, as recently as 2005, that newsroom had an estimated 670 bodies. Now it will be down to 480. And you just know that the "worst" 190 weren't the ones shed.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Active Member

I continue to shake my head at this.

This was once my favorite paper. A lot of the people whose stuff I read are gone. And I have friends there who are worried they're next.

4. Death

Death Member

It's truly sad that Tribune Co. -- especially Chicago -- is being run into the ground so hard and fast. The Randy Michaels story recently was one of my all-time WTFs? With Michaels and Lee Abrams spreading the gospel, Zell won't be turning in quarterly losses much longer. ::)

So the late shift at the Chicago Tribune was putting the paper to bed in the newsroom last night when they were surprised by a guest visitor: Randy Michaels, chief operating officer of the Tribune. Michaels was leading a group of people on a tour. Apparently wishing to amuse the unidentified gawkers, the ex radio deejay decided to crack some jokes about his reporters and editors.

"Oh, look--they're just making up the news,'' he said, walking by one editor's desk. He told the group that the editorial staff were too "serious" and that "things will lighten up soon"—a reference that some took to refer to the impending layoff and buyouts.

That story's been told here plenty. It's one of the most disappointing I've read. If only Mike Royko had been there to kick him in the balls.

Fuck, maybe my shop should hire Shadoe Stevens to run the show here.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

How many tall buildings does Chicago have? Maybe someone could lure Randy up to the top of one and...

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Still waiting, and still expecting, to see a salty, veteran journalist absolutely laying out one of these bozos in one of these newsrooms. Royko probably would have kicked Michaels in the balls. At their best, guys like Will McDonough or John Schulian might have decked one of these jackasses, too.

And when it happens, the jackass CEO/owner who pees in his pants as he gets his nose bloodied will be fortunate that the angry newsroom vet wasn't packing heat.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Brings up an interesting question.
    It's human nature to break up a fight when you see some poor slob getting his ass kicked in a major way.
    But if it were one of the jackass CEO/owners, who wouldn't just stand there and watch?

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Hell, no!

I'd join in the fun.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

After all, Shadoe saved Hollywood Squares money by being the announcer and a panelist. He'd fit right into current newspaper culture.

10. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

Do we know what friends of ours in sports got whacked?

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

This was very interesting.
    http://www.mije.org/richardprince

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Via The Pipeline:

Here are the latest Sports layoffs (involuntary) at the Chicago Tribune. Allegedly, layoffs are over for now.

Wally Tokarz (part-time copy editor)

Lew Freedman (former Outdoors columnist who had been on the desk)

Dave Surico (former prep writer who had previously been demoted to inside work for the prep staff)

Draft saved Draft deleted