1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More travel advice: Boston in early October

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Let me know about the urination thing.
    List of places that I don't like and have urinated on:
    Staples Center
    Jon Bon Jovi's old house in Sayreville, NJ

I'd like to be able to list Fenway and Boston Garden as 'urination by proxy.'
    Of course, it's the new Garden, so it's really not the same.
    Just soak down Fenway for me. I'd appreciate it.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

This. Driving and parking in Boston can be downright impossible at times. I had a JOR conference to attend on a weekday once, and it cost me $40. The only time driving is doable is after midnight on a non-sporting event night, and even then, you have tons of drunk college kids jaywalking and doing other shit.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wont be there for hockey, but the celtics play an exhibition game against the raptors. So that's on the list.
    on peeing, if i take the fenway tour and pee on the bathroom wall instead of in the urinal, does that count?

4. JayFarrar

Huge props to all the people who suggested Anna's Tanqueria. Ate lunch there at the one in Cambridge on Friday and it was delish and, more importantly, cheap.

Things I've learned about Boston, so far:
    * Always have cash. Many places don't take the plastic.
    * I'm really glad this hasn't been a driving tour because traffic really, really sucks.
    * Parts of Boston are shockingly rural. I'm from the country and I've never seen a wild turkey roaming around, let alone on a parking deck, but I did last night at the Alewife stop on the red line. The Govs were beating the Knights 21-0 in the second quarter at Russell Field by the way.
    * Hard as hell to find a Boston Herald, but the Globe is everywhere and a pretty decent read. The A section is almost entirely wire though, outside of the jumps from the local cover.
    * Herald is a little bit of a more entertaining read.
    * The weather has been fantastic. It was 73 and sunny on Friday. Sunny for the rest of the time we're here. Just about perfect.
    * Staying with friends on Beacon Street. Two doors down from the Cheers joint, so lots of tourists and trolleys passing by.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

On the plus side, you can usually find the New York Post in Boston.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Jay, if you're right at the Bull & Finch, then you are within walking distance of Copley Place. If I recall it's within a mile. To not go to Turner Fisheries for a bowl of their clam chowder would be a sin.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hell, you can find the NYP in Vegas.

8. Journo13

Journo13 Member

The Globe sports writers are a decent bunch. With the Herald, I can't stand Ron Borges' columns. Also, the Herald has the columns of Howie Carr, a Glenn Beck-type person.

9. JayFarrar

I read Howie Carr, I thought it was an Onion-style parody. It wasn't. That makes me sad.
    I just meant the Herald was willing to run the sports gambling columns -- who to pick in the pro and college football games.
    Nothing like that in the Globe.
    And it is hard to imagine what the Globe looked like before newspaper fell off the cliff. Today's (Sunday) paper was thick enough to choke a horse and the sports section was a beefy 18 pages. No Pats previews either since this is a bye week.

Also, let me tell you how much I now heart Rhode Island as we spent a terrific day in Newport. Just utterly beautiful. This has really been a great trip.

Draft saved Draft deleted