1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More travel advice: Boston in early October

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Sep 13, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And a bartender right out of central casting. Great place.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Repeating a past recommendation: If you go to the North End, skip dessert at the restaurant and hit up Bova's or Mike's Pastry. (I prefer Bova's.)

Regina's in the North End is a good stop for a pie if you have time on a weekday around lunch. I think it's better than Santarpio's, but you can't go wrong with either.

Take the T everywhere.

If you take up Mr. Gee's idea of a foliage run, drive along Route 2A from Lexington through Lincoln and into Concord. It's a rather short jaunt, but there are some amazing colors there. Same for Route 4 north of Bedford, toward Billerica/Chelmsford.

JFK Library, definitely go. You can get a water taxi from the harbor to take you out there, and I think the boat ride in the harbor and Pleasure Bay is worth it.

J.J. Foley's is where the scribes used to drink. Not sure if that's still the case.

Also, spend some time walking around Harvard, both inside campus and just around the shops around the square. Bartley's is kind of a cliche burger stop, but it's also pretty good -- as are their lime rickeys.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Delta Rant
    Part of the appeal of the trip was the crazy cheap airfare. It was going to be $450 for two people, non-stop.
    So I go to book today.
    I try to get two tickets, and delta.com says it is going to be $750. I was like "what the ...?"
    So I check single bookings and it drops down to $225 a ticket, so I go ahead and book the first one that way and all is well.
    I go to book mine and the price quoted is $225 but when I go to pay it. jumps to $375. Since both tickets are being paid for on the same card, we try an end around and have her book the ticket.
    It is still $375
    Now I could have booked my return trip on a different flight, that would have gotten back around the same time and kept it at $225, but bit the bullet and paid the difference so we'd be on the same flight coming and going.
    But how stupid is Delta?
    Isn't it better for a seat to have someone in it, rather than be empty? An empty seat means no money, while a full seat, with a discount fare, means at least something, right?
    Why would they make it where one person can fly on the cheap, but a couple has to pay a much higher total fare.
    Just dumb
    [/end delta rant]

Thanks for the tips and keep them coming. I know one of the days, we're driving points north to hit Vermont/New Hampshire and take in some leaves. On that day, I'll leave my testicles behind and enjoy the trip.

On a side note to Michael G: I'm reading the Wordy Patriots now. Should I be looking for any of your family?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There was a Gee at Bunker Hill, but the family had lost its prominence by Revolutionary times due to economic effects of several black sheep (including first man expelled from Harvard for drunkenness).

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Go to Pourhouse. Best macaroni and cheese in the world, beer is cheap and the crowd is eclectic. Not a lot of douchebaggery in there.
    And try Anna's. It's a burrito place and for five bucks, you are full. Be careful ordering, because it's like ordering from the soup Nazi.

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Is this the place near the MIT campus in Cambridge?

If so, let me second this recommendation!!

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I took a great long weekend trip up to Boston in early October a few years ago. When I landed, I rented a car and drove to the JFK library, which I enjoyed and recommend. Then I drove up to Salem (I'd been to the sights up there before) and walked around town. I continued the drive up to Cape Ann to Rockport before driving back down to Boston and returning the rental car at the airport. I spent the rest of the weekend using the T and while it was old and not the cleanest, it ran often and was a great way to get around.

I spent the rest of the weekend doing the Freedom Trail, checking out the library, Cambridge and the Public Garden.

I was fortunate - the weather was great for my entire trip - just what you'd expect a fall weekend in New England to be like.

Hope you have a great trip.

As for the airfare, trying deleting your cookies. It's rumored that airlines play games with you once you've searched for a fare and then try to go back later to book at the lower fare. Exactly what happened to you.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

http://www.turnersboston.com/home/

Best clam chowder you'll ever have.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Take the T. Whatever you do, avoid driving in the city at all costs. And if you can, hit Bova's bakery in the North End for whatever pastries, canolis and calzones you desire in Boston.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If you get a chance, would you please urinate on Fenway and the Garden for me?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here are some Bruins game at the end of October

THU OCT 21, 2010 CAPITALS BRUINS

SAT OCT 23, 2010 RANGERS BRUINS

THU OCT 28, 2010 MAPLE LEAFS BRUINS

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The burrito place? There's a couple of them around the city; there's also Boca, but I like Anna's better.

Draft saved Draft deleted