1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More tone deaf Millenials?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My kids likely won't work in high school. That's the plan. I wish I hadn't.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

My parents made it clear to me that I was paying for my own clothes, entertainment and gas money, so I worked enough to pay for those with enough left over for beer and smokes. The sooner you can learn the value of a dollar, the better.

expendable and BrownScribe like this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Sure. Me, too. But they can earn it from me. I'm an employer with flexible scheduling.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Summer jobs are fine, but for the high-achievers who concentrate on school during the academic year, their work seems to be paying off with scholarships. Much better value than what you can earn flipping burgers or working retail.

5. Dick Whitman

That's how I look at it, too. I was overscheduled, and in large part I was overscheduled because I was washing dishes at Ponderosa while trying to play baseball and run the school newspaper and maintain my grades. One of those is not like the others.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Too perfect to be a wounded ex-soldier who presumably had an artificial limb but not limp.

But if you already think the petitioner is clueless, you kind of expect her not to notice that someone only has one leg.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agree with this. It's good to learn what you can from a job (and having one helps with college applications) but I preferred that my kids learned lessons from extracurriculars in high school.

You can always work at McDonald's, but the window to play high school sports or in the band or in the school play or whatever is short.

Iron_chet likes this.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm in favor of young people working. Even if you don't work during the school year, you can get a summer job.
    It has value well beyond the money earned for the young person.
    I cannot imagine being 21 or 22, trying to enter the workforce and having never held any type of job.
    And in most instances, I don't think working for your family is the same. Perhaps on a family farm or family business, but in a typical middle class setting, as was the case in my youth, performing work such as lawn care or painting for my parents was nothing like the experience of an actual job.
    Almost zero translation in my experience.

As for noticing the injured vet, I know someone with two prosthetic legs. Not a wounded veteran, and I don't work with him.
    However, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people who only encountered him with his prosthetics covered did not know about his circumstances.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My kids also had jobs while in high school but worked sparingly or took leaves during the school year.

10. Yeah, I did not work well with my dad.
    I was a lot better off having a job(s) with employers who had set hours, set requirements and a set paycheck.
    Worked every summer since I was 15, but never during the school year. I had maybe a handful of friends who had jobs during the school year. I wouldn't expect my kids to work during the school year, but summer jobs? Oh yeah.

11. Dick Whitman

FYI, no problem with a summer job unless they are heavily involved in a demanding sport or other extracurricular.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I wish I'd made more time for extracurriculars instead of trying to freelance for every paper under the sun.

Draft saved Draft deleted