1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More tone deaf Millenials?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

A few things
    1. They wanted to wear running shoes. Other than among sports writers, in what world are running shoes considered business casual?
    2. "The worst part is that just before the meeting ended, one of the managers told us that the worker who was allowed to disobey the dress code was a former soldier who lost her leg and was therefore given permission to wear whatever kind of shoes she could walk in. You can’t even tell, and if we had known about this we would have factored it into our argument." -- So basically you were pissed that someone -- a solider who had been injured, no less! --- was getting away with something that you wanted to get away with, and instead of finding out why, you just assumed this person was flouting the standards.
    3. She had never had a job before. It boggles my mind that kids can make it to college and never have had a job before. If you're so focused on sports and/or grades, you're unfocused, because 75 percent of your life is going to be spent working with people, so the sooner you get some experience -- any experience -- the better off you are.
    4. But it would be smart to write a letter to your manager explaining that you’ve learned from the situation and that you appreciate the opportunity they gave you and are sorry that you squandered it. They’re not likely to invite you back, but a note like that will probably soften them up a little and will mean that they don’t think so witheringly of you in the future." Screw that, that ship has sailed. No reason to further degrade yourself.
    5. The fact this person is still looking for positive reinforcement for a stupid move shows they don't understand that what they did was wrong. I can't belive only one person didn't go along with it.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Turned out to be a great internship. That person really learned some valuable lessons for adult and working life.

X-Hack, YankeeFan, HanSenSE and 3 others like this.
  4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

"The fact that they did fire all of you for it makes me wonder if there were other issues too and this pushed them over the edge."

Ding, ding, we have a winner.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was glad all the petition signers were canned, and I liked the columnist's answer.

Stoopid.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yup.

You pick your battles in life, and the dress code for a place where you'll be for eight or 10 weeks isn't one I'd sign up for.

Simply writing the proposal is fine to me. Stupid on their part and a waste of time, but harmless. A boss who hasn't had major issues with these interns and who didn't feel threatened could have dealt with it differently. It could've been a learning experience for all parties involved.

That said, the every-snowflake-is-special ideal pushed by this kid is something else.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They're so self-centered that they write fake stories into advice columnists!

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So the advice columnist was duped or made it up?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The soldier thing just sounds too contrived. Nobody just bothered to ask, "Hey just curious. Why does (Ex-Soldier's name) get to break the dress code and wear running shoes?"

Draft saved Draft deleted