1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More than just quoting from MySpace

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

I know this topic has been discussed at length, but I think I have a unique situation here.

I'm working on a story about a player whose girlfriend passed away when he was in high school. He still keeps pictures of her around, writes her name on his tape and cleats, etc. He's talked to me at length about the situation and has been more than willing to discuss it, and I'm actually going to be calling the girl's father soon here.

Anyway, I decided to look on MySpace and sure enough, she had a page on there that still exists. And he has written on there several times since she passed away -- some powerful, interesting stuff.

I have no problems writing that he has written on there saying that he misses her. Can I/do I write what he put on her page?

Curious for some thoughts as I go forward.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Generally, media outlets have used everything on Facebook and Myspace as fair game. Photos included. They just give credit.

I don't know if this is legal or not but it happens everywhere.

3. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

I'm not worried about the legality of it. I'm worried about the ethics of it.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Throw Twitter in there too ... but I think quoting a tweet is just lazy journalism, unless you can't reach the subject by any other means.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ask him if he'd mind you using it in the story because it's powerful stuff that would add a great deal to the piece and really give readers and insight into what kind of a guy he is.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You are worried about the ethics of something that may be illegal. That has ethics written all over it.

Anyway, it seems to be an accepted practice. I can't tell you how many times I have seen Facebook photos used in breaking news stories on the web or on the television.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That's my advice. If he's so open to it, I think he'd be fine.

Maybe a little surprised you found it, but I still think it works.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

If it's a public page, it's public. Anybody could find it.

That said, it's probably a nice gesture to ask to use it.

9. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

God, yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted