1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More stringer problems

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 24, 2007.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

It was a high school hockey game, not the stanley cup, and he's a stringer, not a full-timer. How many people on this board knew what business they were cut out for in high school? You run him off now, he won't be back, at least not for you. You take the time to teach him and you might have a valuable stringer for at least the next few years and possibly a good employee later on.
    Or you can say screw it, the 17-year-old kid should be churning out pulitzer high school gamers by now and he can't even find a frickin' roster, so just move on to the next guy.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Smasher: I knew the basics and took a journalism course. The first story I ever wrote for a daily newspaper, I covered a wrestling match. I got quotes, but I wrote the story in chronological order from the lightest weight to the heavyweight. Looking back 30 years later, I can't believe how stupid I was. But the paper was satisfied because I could spell and the grammar was not horrible. The place was a wrestling area, so when they found out I liked and knew about basketball, they were more than happy to send me to basketball games.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No matter how crappy the story may have been, you got the names of the participants, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted