1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More StoopTweetidty

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Dec 17, 2011.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Irrelevant. Descriptive response to a normative comment. It's one thing to say someone <i>would</i> get suspended for saying something. It's another to say someone <i>should</i> get suspended for saying something. Setting aside the actual state of the world, journalists presumably believe in a culture that promotes open dialogue.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Call me a realist.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Good lord, are you for real? If you have a beef against your employer, or hell, anyone, for that matter, you take it behind closed doors or at least a somewhat more intimate setting than the whole damn Internet. It's called a place and a time and a method for things. It's called maturity.

Sorry, but Stain already has the Spock role on the board cinched, and he at least has a sense of humor.

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

So you, as a journalist, prefer a world where sources lie and dodge questions? As Dan points out, tweeting to the "whole damn Internet" is the equivalent of speaking at a press conference where journalists will report what you say to the "whole damn Internet".

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd prefer the guy to be injected with a truth agent and for me to have access to him for an hour. I'm saying it sure in the hell isn't wise for him to tweet like that, so as a human being I'd tell him unless he wants to fuck up his life to stop doing something that stupid.

6. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Our next question:
    "Coach, for the record, are you some kind of asshole?"

7. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

If you were covering that team and the player made those statements to you in an interview, would you, as a human being, not publish them?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As a Moc, I'll just say that the player was 100 percent accurate and the T-FP needs to hire him as a columnist.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Of course I'd publish them ... and then I'd say, "Man, that guy is stupid and probably should suspended," which is what I said in the first place.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

The Stoops coaching brothers want to know what this thread has to do with them.

11. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

The drug dealer calls for his clients to be arrested...

If this athlete was asked about his relationship with his coach, what are his options?

• Answer honestly to someone who will use his words to call for his suspension
    • Lie
    • Say no comment, because he understands how broken this exercise is

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Answer like an adult and say the relationship is strained. Don't say you hate him with a passion. That's childish and stupid. I'm sticking by that. The whole point here is there was better way for this athlete to handle the situation and he chose not to do it.

And I understand that you've moved it to a press conference situation, which is fine, but he did it on his twitter feed. He was not prompted, which is really stupid.

Draft saved Draft deleted