1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More SpyGate... and now it gets serious

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 2, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Post - Chucking Featers

Until another NFL teams is as caught as red handed as the Pats, I am going to assume they are the only ones doing it.

If that is the case, they need to be stripped of at least one Lombardi and the first game of this season.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Shockey, do you think Goodell believed the Pats' espionage to have been something that they had only implemented in the last season or two?

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm pretty sure the Post wouldn't go with something as lame as Chucking Feathers.

If the league strips the Pats of one Lombardi Trophy, what does the league do then? Give it to the Rams? Or just hold up that Super Bowl as if it never happened?

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, you see, that's a bit harder now because the most reliable evidentiary source of the facts was INTENTIONALLY DESTROYED by the league a couple months ago.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I agree that the league screwed up by destroying the evidence of the Pats' espionage antics in East Rutherford and Green Bay. I want to know if there were previous incidents.

6. 93Devil

Give to the Rams.

I'm fine with that.

When Syracuse lax was stripped of theirs, who got the title?

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

don't know. but i believe rog just wanted this to simply go away. and hoped the pats would simply go away, too, this season.

who knew that 1-0 would become 18-0? a perfect storm, if you will, for coach hoodie and spygate to erupt at the super bowl.

i find it difficult to believe the commish was complicit in all this. just too eager to try to make it go away.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Do you know that the Rams would have beaten the Pats, if New England didn't allegedly use spy tactics?

I don't think the NFL can give the trophy to the Rams. The least objectionable action the league could take, if it decides to strip New England of its first championship, is to hold the trophy up.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Is it a matter that in his first season as commish, he wanted the media to turn its attention away from Spygate to the on-field product?

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

In addition to essentially invalidating an entire season of football, stripping the Patriots of a Super Bowl trophy would cause havoc in the gambling world, with lots of bettors looking to regain the money they lost on a rigged competition. Talk about it as much as you like, but the NFL is not going to strip the Pats of any championships and open up a huge Pandora's Box. It will not happen.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

How do you know the evidence destroyed did not give information regarding previous incidents? Because, as far as I know, the League has never disclosed precisely how much they destroyed, what was revealed, or why they did it.

And, quite frankly, many will be dubious of Goodell's objectivity and the results of any new League investigations given his bizarre decision to destroy the evidence last time.

12. 93Devil

If the NFL is busting players' asses for fucking up (and rightfully so) they need to bust the ass of a team fucking up as well. No matter how lilly white the team is or how pretty their QB is.

Three years ago I would have bet a months paycheck that Brady was going to be a Senator or maybe the President someday. Now? Not so sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted