1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More SpyGate... and now it gets serious

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 2, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Evade, ignore. Either way, you're right.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The pressure on Goodell has now gotten ginormous.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

But that's more on the League than the Pats. Although it was utterly inexcusable, there's no valid justification for ordering all the evidence destroyed without disclosure. I thought that story was greatly underplayed the first time around, but it may get a mighty second wind.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I agree. I believe that now Goodell has no choice but to order a comprehensive investigation into the Patriots' tactics during its current run.

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

If this is true, Belichick has to be suspended for a year, in addition to more monetary penalties for the Patriots and the loss of further draft choices. (I don't see Goodell wiping out an entire draft, but I could see him stripping them of, say, any first-rounders for a couple of years.) The thing to remember here is that Goodell basically told the Pats that they'd better tell him everything, because if he found out there was more and that they were hiding it, he would come down on them hard. I hope he nails Hoodie to the wall.

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

F&%$ suspensions.

F&%$ draft picks.

Investigate and if you find conclusive evidence, send the U-Haul over to Foxboro and take back the trophies.

Then stricken the results from the record books.

It's the ONLY way they'll get the message.

Slimy-ass piece of manure.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Gregg Easterbrook has an interesting column which details: 1. Why this is coming out now. 2. Why it is the business of Congress. 3. How the NFL could have avoided this if they'd been upfront in the beginning.

Also, he says if true, it's the worst sports scandal since the Black Sox.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080202&sportCat=nfl

Discuss.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Easterbrook should stick to writing about astronomy and how much he hates Jews. And I say that as someone who loathes the Patriots.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Ah Starman justice. Overblown, underthought nonsense.

I'm not a Pats fanboi, and suggesting that the league strip them of the three trophies is one of the silliest things I've ever read.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since the Black Sox? Uh, no. I can think of about six off the top of my head, like the Jamaica cricket murder.
    Nothing will come of this. Goodell was a dunce to destroy the tapes. Locking them away would acheived the same effect. Although it would've been fun to watch the Senate Judiciary Committee attempt to decipher Eric Mangini's hand signals.
    There has been spying in football since, well, forever. The game has somehow flowed on.

12. Come on, really going back to the Jews thing? Did you miss the part where he attends a church that has Christians and Jews worshipping together?

http://jewsweek.com/bin/en.jsp?enPage=BlankPage&enDisplay=view&enDispWhat=object&enDispWho=Article%5El804&enVersion=0&

Draft saved Draft deleted