1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Spurrier-Morris drama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 11, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Nothing has been learned from turning these college coaches into golden calves.
    Nothing.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

With as many people that McClatchy has laid off in recent years, it wouldn't seem all that difficult to let a columnist go in that manner. I'm not advocating this, of course, just saying that if they really wanted to get rid of him, it wouldn't be that hard.

3. The State has had more than its share of layoffs, but it has money in the budget to hire a fan to write for it while wearing South Carolina apparel in the press box and to press conferences. I'm told he sat in the press box's first row during SC's first game, wearing a South Carolina hat. This alongside the poor impartial folks like Josh Kendall, who's an honest-to-God good reporter.

This is a portrait of our business in 2013, boys and girls.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Kendall is great. I'm surprised Spurrier tolerates being covering by a UGA grad. :D

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Kendall is one of my favorite people in the business. Damn good beat writer who always managed to strike a good balance with work/family. He makes it work way better than most. And I'm sure he can't wait for this nonsense to go away.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

They didn't need to have the grounds ... Morris could have been fired for parting his hair the wrong way. The publisher is (or was) obviously just trying to have it both ways -- appease both Spurrier and the larger journalism world. It might just work ... but I doubt it.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd be really curious how this impacts the beat writers, if at all... I'm guessing a lot of us have been in situations where a coach has an issue with a columnist and it doesn't carry over to the beat writer. Then again, this is Spurrier.

Yeah, I've known Kendall since he was covering Georgia hoops about 15 years ago. Great guy. Great writer.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I covered Auburn back in the day and was comforted knowing that, in all probability, he didn't read our columnist. Because if he did, knowing Dye, my job's suck factor would have increased a thousand-fold.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I saw a Facebook post from someone who would know that indicated this has been resolved and Morris is allowed to write about the Gamecocks. Anybody know anything more?

10. babb

babb New Member

The staff has been told in a newsroom email that any columnist can write what he or she chooses. Translation: Ron has been reinstated.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good.

And applause to anyone who might have had the stones to go in and tell the publisher this was bullshit. I only assume that is what happened, I can't imagine the publisher just up and decided, hey, not a good idea.

12. babb

babb New Member

I may be wrong, but my belief is that McClatchy got involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted