1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Spurrier-Morris drama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And, uh, wow. Who is running that asylum? Yeah, rhetorical

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They obviously want him to quit but don't have the balls to fire him.
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The State has quickly gone from one of the best hometown papers in the SEC to a homer rag.

This is disgraceful.
  4. Mizzougrad96

I don't even think Saban would try to pull something like this...

This isn't the first time Spurrier has tried this. It may be the first time he's been successful though...
  5. Mizzougrad96

Go Clemson.

Kudos to Kent Babb for his comments. That's another reminder of a day when there was an outstanding writer on that beat.

If memory serves, Eddie Fogler tried to get their basketball writer fired back in the day.
  6. LongTimeListener

Jesus. This part is almost as bad as the Morris ban:

In late August, The State added longtime Gamecocks football reporter and self-described superfan Glenn Snyder to its sports pages. (He’s a contract writer, not a staffer. Snyder previously reported for a publication that’s sent to Gamecock booster club members.)

“I’ve now seen 343 South Carolina [football] games in a row,” the 67-year-old Snyder tells me. “Coach Spurrier and I have become friends.”

Spurrier, in fact, helped “Superfan” Snyder get his job at The State.

“I did call The State newspaper and put in a good word for him, and they hired him,” the coach told me. He says he talked to publisher Haitz. “He’s good friends with [longtime Gamecock Radio Network announcer] Tommy Suggs. I met [Haitz] through Tommy.”

And nice weaseling on the question about Ron Morris. Four-paragraph statement doesn't even attempt to address the question.
  7. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, no shit... And people wonder why writers are homers... Job security.
  8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Everybody on that sports staff should have a byline strike if the columnist was told not to write about USC and in protest of hiring a guy Spurrier wanted. This may be a new low in the history of that chain that owns that "newspaper."
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yup. Not a lick of loyalty. You'd expect that out of the Internet writers -- they're all out for themselves and gladly cozy up to coaches to get ahead -- but the newspaper folks, too?
  10. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

If anyone thinks this story will change the way they operate, they do not know the people involved. This was little more than a bug on Henry Haitz's windshield. The bandwagon is unstoppable.
  11. I'm not asking this argumentatively, but what in this story is new?

Yes, it's outrageous, but it's been outrageous for the last year or more and I find it hard to believe that Henry Haitz is suddenly panicking because Romanesko wrote a blog post on it.
  12. LongTimeListener

The new part is that the newspaper has expressly banned its columnist from writing or talking about South Carolina. That wasn't the case before this season.
Draft saved Draft deleted