1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More sobering news. I need a beer . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thereligiouswrong, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There will always be a need for VCRs...

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hey, Mizzou, while I'm setting my VCR can you please look in your bag and find a mini-cassette or two I can borrow? Always a need for those, too.

3. Mizzougrad96

I'll send them along with the typewriter and record album... :D

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Do you have any acoustic couplers I can borrow?

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm concerned as Hell, but I really don't know what else I wanna do. I enjoy the rush of deadline every day, the ability to tell a relevant story, the ability to commiserate over sports. As much as I want to jump off the Titanic, I'm probably staying on it for a little longer.

6. Mizzougrad96

There will always be a need for a Trash-80... :D

7. "If you love what you do ..."

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Which, as much as I bitch about it, I do. I worked for a year or so as a glorified secretary/call center guy. It was just as evil as working at the worst paper I've ever worked at.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So long as the greatest sports movie in history, Riefenstahl's "Olympia", is only available on videocassette . . .

10. Mizzougrad96

You should still get the hell out before there is nothing left for you to do... :D

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Of course the publisher is. Trends, dog, trends ...

Keeping up with the Joneses (not to be confused with the esteemed poster of the same name on this board) isn't easy. And while I don't ever want to apologize for a publisher, I'm quite certain the corporate sorts above them are putting enormous pressure on them to consistently lower costs or leave.

That's nothing. The jackass suits I used to work for sent us a proxy, asking the little minions how we wish to dole out bonuses. Mind you, none of us minions were getting a thing. Nothing for Christmas, almost nothing for raises - certainly nowhere near 3 percent - and no break on benefits. Gannett is a bunch of worms, but know that they're not alone on that front.

No arguments there, dog. But people don't care to be informed. They care to be "wowed," overwhelmed by flashy graphics, told something with which they can impress their friends and colleagues. After all, isn't that what Gannett's complete bullsh_t treatment of stories in McPaper is trying to teach us.

All style, no substance. Hence why people are willing to read blogs or ingent eight-second TV reports and accept them as gospel. None of this reading anything to understand for yourself. Too old-fashioned. ::)

12. Who let the dog out!
    Well played.

Draft saved Draft deleted