1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"More shots than I needed"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Saw this in the paper this morning ...

http://news.yahoo.com/minn-man-says-fired-more-shots-needed-183741818.html

I am not crazy about what the guy did, but I don't blame him. If the kids don't break in - they don't get executed.
    That said, I think he's going to jail.

Thoughts?

2. Are we going to believe the word of some psycho who took pride in their kill shot?

3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

My thoughts are that its his word against nobody's. ... Do we really know that the kids broke in to his house? Why did the girl go down the steps after hearing the shots that killed the boy? Why didn't she run or hide? Why would a teenage girl, who'd already been shot and is lying bloody at the bottom of the stairway laugh at this guy? Why did he wait a whole day before calling the cops, leaving two dead teenagers in his basement. Were they even shot in his basement?

There are way too many questions about this case, and right now a lot of people seem to be trusting the word of a guy who, whether he was defending his home or not, executed two kids.

4. I don't think there's any dispute the kids broke in to his house. I didn't see that disputed in the story.
    If there is - I missed it.
    The fact the guy waited a day to call the cops, however, raises some big, bright red flags.

5. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Perhaps they did actually break in, but I'm curious to see what comes out of some further investigation. There are parts of this story that don't add up.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The kid from Grinnell saw this thread title and threw a tennis shoe at his computer.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One story had it where the guy didn't want to bother the cops on Thanksgiving.

So what we have here, apparently, is two kids making the mistake of breaking into a home of an armed guy who's not exactly the sanest among us.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Two kids break into a house in broad daylight? One walks down the basement stairs a few minutes after hearing a series of rifle shots from the basement? Multiple shots to kill each kid? Calls the cops a full day later?

This story is likely going to turn out much creepier than we think.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Sounds like a Grade-A whacko.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Check the female (or male if he's a priest, scoutmaster, teacher or coach) for signs of forced entry.

Burglary on Thanksgiving Day? What's this guy doing home alone on Thanksgiving or did his family just step over the bodies to get to the stuffing?

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Think about how he sounded. He's a guy about whom the family says, "Uncle Byron? I suppose if he asks to come, we have to let him, but I'm sure not inviting him."

12. Dark_Knight

Dark_Knight Member

Gun-slinging Texans see no problem with this story.

Draft saved Draft deleted