1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MORE shootings ... this time in El Paso and Dayton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

For fuck's sake.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That's what I say. But, I guess it's the same thing as focusing on video games and background checks (which are already done) instead of approving a ban on assault weapons. Anything but doing the thing that would actually be most effective in helping stop the madness.

In Walmart's case, I still say that is to stop selling guns and ammunition.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I was an Electronics Technician... mainly took care of antenna maintenance because I wasn't real hot on the electronics side of things and was good at the mechanical part. Plus, I was one of the few guys not afraid to climb up on the mast of the ship to service radar antennas. I was also ship's security force and helped land helicopters.

I was in the CIWS control room, I guess it was. And like I said, all I did was push a button. I couldn't see anything or control anything. I might as well have been making microwave popcorn.

Justin_Rice likes this.
  4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I am firmly on the record that the problem in America is too many guns. But I also see violence a little like climate change. With the latter, I'd argue that even if we're somehow not the cause (Narrator: We are), what's the harm in less pollution? I don't see a problem with kids being surrounded by a little less violent imagery in a place like Wal-Mart.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This shooting will do to the video game industry what Janet Jackson's boob did to the Super Bowl halftime show. Overreact ridiculously and fix nothing.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't go to Wal-Mart, mostly because I don't like their business practices. But at least at Best Buy, I've never seen Call of Duty or any other first-person shooter game out on demo display. It's always sports games or racing games or the like. The video game thing is a bogeyman, a diversion from the real problem. It's Republicans protecting the NRA. Video games have fuck all do with increased gun violence.

Not to dispel your point that a little less violent imagery isn't a bad thing. It's just that this is a direct response to Fox News talking points, and fuck that noise.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Except we're not over-reacting. No assault-weapons ban, no stoppage of sales of guns and ammunition...We're not doing anything that actually needs to be done.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So there's no future in Up With People: The Video Game?

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Oh, back to the good old days of playing Leisure Suit Larry.

X-Hack likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

El Paso shooter tells the cops he was specifically targeting Mexicans. So video games made him racist?

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And the NRA has been speaking to him.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted