1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More senseless gun violence

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smash Williams, May 9, 2009.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

This time from outside of Houston.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/051009dntexboykilled.dd49cd4.html

Honestly, I've never put a lot of thought into my stance about gun control. But I hope this particular couple gets hit with a murder charge. Shooting at people is never the right answer to trespassers, particularly when you say this to the guy on 911: "They're out here tearing up the levee, so I shot them."

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So a couple just started shooting randomly at people who were tresspassing but posing no threat to them and in the daylight?

Am I reading this correctly?

If so, they should both be in jail for a long time.

3. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Actually, zag, you're not reading it correctly. It's even worse - the article says they weren't trespassing, but the Deliverance extras apparently thought they were and shot them. They should execute them both on the spot - reap what you sow, lunatics.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, something is very fucked up about a place where it's OK to shoot somebody who poses no danger to you whatsoever.
    Is shooting trespassers legal in Texas?
    If it is it shouldn't be.

5. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Texas has a so-called "castle law," the full text of which is here: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/SB00378F.htm

An unrelated DMN article summarizes it as a law that "gives people the right to use whatever means necessary to protect themselves and their property without fear of civil liability."

Now, I don't know if it applies to just property as a thing (like a house or a car) or if property includes land as well. I am 99 percent sure it doesn't cover shooting tresspassers when you know they're harmless (which this is a case of), but I don't know about like... hearing noise at night from people walking across your lawn and firing out a window cause it freaks you out.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

How about taking the time to find out if the people who may be tresspassing are really a threat to you?
    And no, I don't buy the excuse that if you take the time to do that, you could be dead.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Unless someone is breaking into your house or is in your house without your authorization and posing a threat -- there is no reason to shoot them. If they are on your property, you lock your doors (if you are scared of them) and you call the police and if they come to close to your house, you fire a warning shot into the air or into a tree or something and let them know not to come closer.

These two idiots are the kind of reckless assholes who make it so difficult for those of us who are NRA members and legal gun owners and always trying to fight the good fight to keep the second amendment alive in this country and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Great post Zag...

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I rarely hear of sensible gun violence.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Quit makin sense.

11. jps

jps Active Member

zag's got this one covered.

(and the murdering idiots were 40 yards away. you can't tell you're shooting at a little kid from 40 yards? what could he possibly be doing that would warrant such a reaction. Jesus.)

edit: hillbillies running a meth lab and a little paranoid, perhaps?

12. Guns don't kill people.
    Ignorant paranoid hillbilly maniacs kill people.

Draft saved Draft deleted