1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More running up the scoreage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Not sure why a simple mercy rule isn't in place.

I played for years in a league where the game ended if a team was up 30 at the half or later or up 20 with 4 minutes left or later.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yates, FWIW, owns the state's longest playoff appearance streak in football — last time they missed the playoffs was 1976. So they've always been athletically strong.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In hockey to play at the next level, even for the chance to play Division III where his family is paying full sticker price, a kid has to do a year or two of prep school or juniors after high school.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I don't see any issue with what the coach did. Heck, he pulled his starters and his third-stringers were in. They need actual game reps, too. If anything, if it was so bad, the officials should have made the call to stop play. I don't see why it's on Yates to stop what they're doing.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I asked friends in Texas about that after the 100-0 game last year. Texas has no mercy rule. In California, the rule is running clock after a team gets a 40-point or more lead in the fourth quarter.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Virginia has no mercy rule, but I have seen a clock run in the second half while both coaches turn their heads. And I have also been to a game where a time out was called with about six minutes remaining (blowout of course) and after the scoreboard counted down the time out, both teams went back on the court with three minutes left.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Fine. But it's still about three light years away from being grounds for deliberately clotheslining your opponents.

BTW, such tactics would certainly lead to brawls. And as the more athletically superior team, Yates would just kick the opponents' asses litterally instead of on some silly scoreboard.

And finally, it is much more humiliating to be patronized by your opponent, which is what happens when you have third-stringers slowing down the game and not trying to score.

8. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Was covering a girls game, walked in on the final minutes of frosh/soph, looked up at the scoreboard and saw 64-1 with a few minutes remaining.
    I must have done a double-take because an area volleyball coach saw me and said that was really the score.
    Final: 76-3, no field goals for the team with 3.
    If high school athletic organziations refuse to make a running clock mandatory for varsity events can they at least consider doing it for jv/frosh/soph?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Football is almost the only sport left in which an athlete's performance for his actual high school team has anything to do with getting recruited in college. In virtually every other sport, recruiting is based almost completely on out-of-season club teams. And in football, more and more, it's based on how kids perform at summer camp workouts.

As soon as some dickflogger invents AAU travel football teams playing in the springtime (I bet it's not far off), high school football will become as irrelevant as all the other sports.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Here is the only reason I can think that scores need to be run up -- if there is any tie-breaker at all decided by goal differential or point differential or whatever.

If that's the case and there is no cap to it (i.e. a 20-point win or loss is the most you can get credit for), then I say a team has to score as much as possible.

My son's soccer team had this situation two years ago in a tournament.

There was four four-team divisions so the top two teams in each division got into the medal rounds and it was standard round robin pool play.

There was one really good team in the division, two equal teams (my sons team was one of those) and one horse shit team.

The best team beat my son's team by two goals. My son's team and the other team tied. The other medium team lost to the top team by three goals. But my son's team played the shit team first and after getting about a 6-0 lead in the first half, his coach did the old "possess the ball, nobody is allowed to score with X amount of passes and must use weak foot or header" and the final score was like 7-0 or so. There is no question my son's team could have scored 20 goals in that game but decided not to out of sportsmanship.

Of course, the other team tied with my son's team played the shit team last and by that point had figured out goal differential would matter so they buried them, like 15-0 and moved on to the medal round and our team went home.

After that, my son's coach never left it to chance and he'd run up 20-0 scores against shit teams in tournaments or in the league. I didn't agree with it, but I understood it.

To me, if you want to prevent running up the score you take goal or run or score differential out of the tie-breaker equation or make it so there is a cap to how much you can get credit for or held against you.

My thoughts are in football 24 points should be the max either way. In baseball it should be like seven runs, in soccer five goals, basketball, oh I don't know, 30 points, etc.

That would take away any excuse to run up the score.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I want to be less critical of people, but I gotta say this:
    Any coach who allows that sort of thing to happen should not be coaching or involved in anyway in the education system.
    I'd like to meet the coach and I'd tell him to his face.
    Who knows, me being in San Antonio I just might get the chance.
    What a sorry performance by that head coach.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The winning coach or the losing coach?

Draft saved Draft deleted