1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More rules are rules?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Some communities enforce that law more than others.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm in a southern state, and it's standard. The baseball and softball finals are the week before Memorial Day, which is usually about a week after most high school graduations. I've seen some semifinal series the week before have to adjust the schedules to work them around graduation ceremonies.
    Hell, we had one state championship series about 10 years ago that started before graduation and finished two weeks later. They played Game 1 on a Friday, then skipped Saturday because of graduation ceremonies. On Sunday, an assistant coach for one of the teams died, so there was another two- or three-day break to handle that. Then it rained all week. Game 2 was played 10 days after Game 1.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We had some title games conflicting with graduations. But it's dependent on scheduling quirks. Most of the time spring championships are decided before the large schools have graduation (small schools will go earlier to avoid conflicts).

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

State track and field meet trials in Calif. were the same day as a couple of graduations here. Senior discus thrower skipped the ceremony at his school. He podiumed.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Man, it's the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. If it ain't that piece of paper, there's some other choice they're gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what Randall Pink Floyd wants to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

In more rules are rules news: A dad in Tennessee was arrested for picking up his children at school after it was out. His crime? He walked to the school and was going to walk them back. Rules say cars or buses, no exceptions.

And it isn't clear from the story why the children didn't walk home on their own.

http://www.theurbancountry.com/2013/11/dad-arrested-for-picking-up-kids-at-school-by-foot.html

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The kids could have walked home on their own, but per the policy they'd have had to wait until all the picked-up kids were gone. As there had been a reconfiguration of the pick-up procedure, that meant kids were having to wait an hour before being allowed to walk home ... alone.

Charges were eventually dropped.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Keeping on with the "rules are rules" beat ...

Kansas City suburb is, for now, safe from the "Little Free Library" scourge ...

http://pvpost.com/2014/06/18/leawood-man-faces-citation-for-putting-little-free-library-in-his-front-yard-28711

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I know this goes against "the law" but I've had to explain to my kids when they had to transition from innocence to adolescence, "rules are not meant to be enforced" all the time. Just because rules have been enacted does not meant that there should be zero tolerance, there needs to be some common sense. Wrong color pants on a 7 yr old? Honest mistake move on; what advantage was gained there? Smoking cigars? While caught red-handed, not personally though, on their own private time, let it go. Let's devote our time and resources to more important things.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I feel like this is akin to the tobacco company in the Simpsons disqualifying Lisa from being Miss Springfield because Homer wrote OK under a spot that said "Do not write in this space" just because she pissed them off.

Draft saved Draft deleted