1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More rules are rules?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They hold postseason after school is out for the summer?

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That's pretty common. In my state (Illinois) spring sports playoffs are still going on.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I guess up north that might be common. Down here, we had parents (and kids) bitching that snow days ran until June 5 - which messed up their vacation plans.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Parents bitching?!?! I don't believe it.

Seniors get out in the beginning of June. Underclassmen go until late June. I think the last day of school where my wife works is June 20.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Any and all smoking is prohibited on school grounds by Mass. state law in addition to the sports rules, so the "they're 18" argument is moot. Parents, grandparents, of age fans, teachers, coaches whatever, no body is allowed to smoke on school property in Mass.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In my high school -- a strict, Catholic school -- seniors could smoke in the senior section of the cafeteria.

I think you may have needed a permission note from your parents, I don't remember.

Pretty wild how much things have changed.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The state baseball playoffs in Texas normally ends in the middle of June. It ended a little earlier this year (June 7) because the UIL adjusted the spring calendar. It's like that because the playoffs are strung out, one round per week.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hell, the regular season for baseball and softball in Iowa just started at the end of May. Playoffs are in July.

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I've driven through towns that ticket for two over. Haven't yet seen a one over but my argument to that is, as thick as the needle is, how can you tell if you're going 50 or 51?

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Do you still get 5 years of eligibility in Iowa? (Summer before your freshman year and summer after you graduate)

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Football season begins before school starts in many places. It stands to reason that spring sports can go on after school gets out on the other end of the calendar.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

In North Carolina, the tobacco farmers would probably sub in cigarettes for the cigars and pay the high school association fines.

Draft saved Draft deleted