1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More ramp up to Iranian War

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6376639.stm

Oh, and...
    So, I guess starting tomorrow, we're going to hear a lot more sabre rattling by Dubs.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Just watch3ed some of the White House press briefing...

The press asked questions about Iran - good, specific questions - only to be greeted with Tony Snow saying "You got to fuckin' kidding me man. I don't even know where Iran is."

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not saying they aren't ramping up for an attack, but I've got to believe they have plans in some form or another to do battle with a number of hostile states, including Iran and North Korea. I think it's SOP to have plans in place, whether there is any expectation of attacking or not.

And the statement that "any such attack - if ordered - would target Iranian air bases, naval bases, missile facilities and command-and-control centres" seems so painfully obvious that it doesn't really tell you if the US is gearing up for some kind of an invasion. I could have told you that without talking to anyone. Hell, I could have told you that without ever having played SOCOM.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Exactly. It would be a bigger concern if we didn't have a plan for dealing with Iran, or any other country for that matter.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We also have a battle plan for fighting Canada and Mexico.

I'm not that worried about either of those, though.

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

One reason that (Americans) are good at war is that we practice a lot. We’re a 200-year-old democracy, and we’ve had ten major wars. That’s a war every twenty years. We’re good at it, because we practice. We can’t make a TV anymore, can’t make a cellphone, can’t make a VCR, we got no steel industry, no textile industry, we can’t educate our young people, can’t fix our old people and their problems with health, but we can bomb the shit out of your country.

Especially if your country is full of brown people. We like that. That’s our hobby. That’s our new job in the world, bombing brown people. Iraq, Panama, Grenada, Libya. You got some brown people in your country? Tell them to watch the fuck out!

--George Carlin

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Actually, we've had more than 140 military "involvements" around the world.

We simply don't know how to put the damn guns down. We even back horribly evil people (Osama bin Laden vs. the USSR, Saddam vs. Iran) if we feel they are fighting against someone we perceive to be even more evil. The CIA toppled a democratic government in Iran and installed the Shah. And we wonder why the world thinks we're double-crossing, war-mongering liars?

America's leaders will never understand the law of unintended consequences.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Pretty sure we can all agree on that one.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

We're already at war with Iran.

We've always been at war with Iran.

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Hopefully our plans regarding Iran and North Korea are better than the one we had for Iraq. If Rumsfeld had anything to do with our plans regarding Iran and North Korea I think those plans should be shredded.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

maybe we should just ask. hell, the smartest -- highest IQ anyway -- of bush's cabinet frequents our board all the time:

calling general yawn. general yawn please pick up the invisible courtesy phone hidden in the corner of your office.

(psssst. that one will keep him busy for months.)

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . especially THIS contingent of (gag, hack . . . ) "America's leaders"

Who's going to fight these wars, pray tell? They can't be sold.

Draft saved Draft deleted