1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More proof the French hate hygiene: Armstrong's shower lands him in hot water

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I think it's funny that the Giro has revised one of the stages that skirted into France and now has it all within its own borders. It's all because of Armstrong. He might not even be able to race the Giro because of the injury, but even the Italians no long want to fuck with the Frogs and their bullshit. Lance should pull out of the Tour and race the Vuelta instead.

Do I think he dope(s,d)? As a competitive cyclist, I've known Cat 5s who win nothing more than a T-shirt and a bottle of chain lube who have doped. I'll just leave it at that. He's never been caught, so as far as I know, he's clean until proven guilty. The problem with the Napoleonic Code is that in the fuckin Frogs' eyes, you have to prove your innocence.

Yes, I keep using the term Frogs, and for the more PC among us, that is directed at the French anti-doping agency, their piece of shit lab and L'Equipe, not the entire nation.

One of the things that I have always found funny, not funny ha ha but funny queer (Karl Childers reference) is that they've had a fuckin boner trying to nail Armstrong since 99 and have been totally unsuccessful, yet no one ever seems to really link Indurain to doping. He won five straight Tours, pretty much all through his TT ability, at the friggin peak of PEDs coming to the forefront when testing was virtually unheard of. I don't know if Big Mig doped or not. But if you are going to go after someone so hard who never tested positive, then scrutinize guys from previous generations.

Let's see how far it flies with the Frogs when someone suggest Hinault doped.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wah! They went after one of our boys!

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You got boys?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

He found them at Wal-Mart. Three for $1.

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Even the UCI president has come out and publicly criticized the AFLD. It's just a total gong show over there. Also, what the story in the OP doesn't mention is that the guy coming to take the samples had the chance to mark down if anything abnormal happened with Armstrong, but he didn't. So now they're making a big issue out of it.

Shoeless, I don't know if the AFLD wants to nail anyone except Armstrong. Hell, Richard Virenque was proven to have doped and they fucking love him, still. I'm sure there's a list of reasons the French don't like Armstrong, his arrogance among them (there are times he reminds me of Roger Clemens), and talent. They've already come this far trying to nail him, and I doubt they'll stop once he retires for good.

And, to TigerVols, it would be great for Hincapie to win l'enfer du nord, but I just don't see that happening. I'll be rooting for him hard, but it'll probably be whichever Quickstep dude (Boonen/Devolder) is in better position; they got the best odds for Gent. Though, Hincapie probably has as good or better a chance to win as one of the younger guys (Maaskant/Haussler) or veterans (Flecha, Hoste, etc). Ok, ProTourJack over.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Haven't watched it yet...only read the live blogging on Velonews.com but Hincapie wasn't a factor and you certainly called it with Boonen's win...since he bombed out at ATOC I was hoping anyone but him would win.

7. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Yeah, I'm definitely itching to see it, but I don't think it's going to be on Versus any time soon, if at all. Maybe cycling.tv will have it. And I was also disappointed a bit that a couple mechanicals essentially put Hincapie out of contention...but I don't know who was going to hang with Boonen anyway. He's strong and got some good breaks, which was a deadly combo for everyone else...or maybe it's strategy and a silly strong team. Boonen's now won three times there; he'll be able to build his own cobbled road with his trophies by the time he's done.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Isn't there some sort of "stay in the presence of the testers" clause in the protocols that Armstrong violated by stepping out of the room to take his shower? If so, wouldn't a guy with as much drug-testing experience has he has -- he's probably the most-tested athlete in the history of sports -- know as much? If all that is true, Armstrong just handed them a gift-wrapped reason to ban him from the TDF, and a positive drug test won't be needed for them to do it. To me, while the French have taken this pursuit to comical proportions, Armstrong screwed himself here.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yes.

Yes.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: More proof the French hate hygiene: Armstrong's shower lands him in hot wate

Given Armstrong's intelligence and calculating nature, part of me thinks he's hoping for a ban.

That way he won't have to ride the TdF and not have to risk a poor performance.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

According to some reports, Armstrong asked the tester if he could go shower, and the guy said fine.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

And the Oscar for Best Thread Title Of The Year goes to ... TigerVols!

Draft saved Draft deleted