1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More prominent ads on ESPN.com main page

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Apr 28, 2009.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Except for when the sites and ads won't allow you to block them, as ESPN and a lot of other sites are catching on.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Point taken. But once upon a time ESPN, had a big readership. Now it's Yahoo I guess.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm the same way. Just let me read a little more about this story -- I don't need a video with ads, just a few paragraphs.

The Internet is supposedly a replacement for newspapers in that you can read as much as you want about what you want when you want. Sites like CNN and ESPN are taking that away, and it's not a good policy. Have the video there for people who want that, but don't make it the only way to get the info.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Far as I could tell, the ads on the right side were not real ads. They were there because the Apple ad drops down over that area, so ESPN.com couldn't have its headlines there.

I didn't try to click on any of the side ads, so I can't swear to that, but that's my assumption.

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

My guess is Apple was giving them enough money to move the headlines

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

IJAG is right. Side ads weren't real. Funny Mac ad, though I'd think the ad could spill over the real headlines without that much fuss, right?

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Of course I noticed this. Of course I hate it. I don't want my Page 1 news on page 2 and I don't want to scroll down to see what's going on in the world.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If I go to espn.com now, I see no ads.

Draft saved Draft deleted