1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More prominent ads on ESPN.com main page

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Apr 28, 2009.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Active Member

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but ESPN.com has an alternate layout on its main page today, with additional ads on the right-side rail where the headlines are for just about every site.

I'd be surprised if this is something regular -- seems like we're all trained to see a run of 10 headlines on the right without having to page down to find them. Even with the centerpiece that rotates between 2-4 main stories, seems unconventional to not have the day's big news available on the first look at the page ...

2. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

The ads on ESPN's front page are the same as on the New York Times' front page.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

ESPN doesn't care about headlines anymore. It's all about videos now. They are everywhere.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Wow, that's really annoying.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

And how is ESPN's reliance on video any different than CNN.com, for example? I mean, they ARE a TV network. Not saying, just saying ...

RB

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Active Member

Firefox adblocker is your friend.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Active Member

Sixtoe ... all the major sports sites have used the same model --SI, CBS, Fox, NBCsports ...

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I am sure this is in response to the Contra code left right thing from yesterday.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

CNN blows too. Nothing worse than an engaging headline that makes me click on the story only to find out its a fucking 3 minute video. I can't get away with watching videos at work. I can justify reading news articles.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

My point was that a person shouldn't be shocked when a TV network uses its primary content online.

Now, firing up an NYT story and just getting a three-minute video I can understand ...

RB

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That is annoying indeed, but I've been noticing that more sites have been adding a little camera icon next to the headline to indicate it's a video.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I happened to watch a NYT video that was based on a well-written story about a small town in Tennessee getting ripped off -- the written story was good, but the NYT-produced video was better than anything PBS turns out. Not sure how the NYTCo made any money off the video, but it was very informative and well-produced.

Draft saved Draft deleted