1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More prep problems

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JBHawkEye, Jun 9, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

And be sure to get on the record, attributable comment from school official (AD or principal) that officials association told them this.
    Then call head of officials association and give him a chance to make a fool of himself (which he undoubtedly will) with either a lame excuse or a denial of what you already have on the record from the school.

good times.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As I said on another thread, this is why I love covering preps... You write about good kids, but even more fun, you get to write about stupid adults.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

And you don't even have to try to make them look stupid, it just flows naturally.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I take the path of least resistance, my friend...

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

As a current soccer and baseball official, I want to comment on this.

All of you are right about this in saying we should be named. We're not anonymous. In most associations, you wear a number on your sleeve to identify you. There's a reason for that. You should be accountable for everything you do on the field. From the way you handle yourself to the calls you make, you're part of the game and up to critism, even in the local rag.

The association that is protesting this is about the most unprofessional I've heard of.

If I was "called out" in the paper, I wouldn't care. Because I would have made the right call, even if people disagree with it.

Now, most of us don't want to talk to the media and will refuse a request for an interview about most things. I will discuss my calls with the players and coaches on the playing field, but I won't discuss them with the media and the fans. If the participants want to say why I did something, that's fine, but I leave it on the field.

In a generic call, you shouldn't even mention the official. He was called out at the plate. Ruled foul by the umpire. Etc.

You did the right thing. If you want, tell them to call me and I'll tell them to fuck off. They give all officials everywhere a bad name.

Draft saved Draft deleted