1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More prep problems

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JBHawkEye, Jun 9, 2006.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

That should go on the Seinfeld-Simpsons thread. ;D

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Right. His name is on the scoresheet just like everyone else's. If a kid commits an error that turns the tide of the game, he gets named. The umpire takes an act that turns the tide of the game, he gets named. It would be remiss of you to just call him 'the umpire.'

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The correct call, JB. A no-brainer.

What in the hell makes them think they deserve protection status? I had a referee named in a story a few years back and he threatened to sue me for mentioning that he did the game. Hilarious.

The real villain here is the state association. They've got their heads up their ass if they think they have the pull to bitch about something like that.

4. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

This is OT a bit, but I wonder why there wasn't a more aggressive effort to name the scab umpires who had been doing minor-league games for the last two months. To me, that's a legit story if say, a prominent 30-year veteran umpire in the local college league decides to scab in professional baseball. I'm not aware of any newspaper that broke with the Minor League policy of keeping the umps anonymous.

5. KP

KP Active Member

I thought the union umps went back on the job shortly after the Young incident. ???

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We wrote a story about the local guys doing it here - it was basically the same crew every game. One was a former pro umpire who had been out of it for 15 or so years. His view was he wasn't scabbing. They were going to play anyway, the "real" umps would prefer to have someone like him doing it because he had no interest in making it a career again.

Yes, we used names.

7. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

They reached a deal May 30, and all umpires will be back to work on or before June 12.

8. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

Kudos to your paper. I wish my paper would have done that.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The latest update _ apparently the local officials association has sent a letter to the local high school, saying they are having a hard time finding officials to work games there for fear that we'll name them if they are involved in a close play.

Someone get these guys a box of Kleenex.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

And now, JB, it is time to write the column tearing into the umpires and the officials association.
    This is total bull shit.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup... But dont just say they're assholes. Be sure to back it up with what happened...

12. Stupid

Stupid Member

If he just tells the tale as he's told it here, he won't have to say they're assholes — it will be apparent.

Draft saved Draft deleted