1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More paywalls?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Jun 4, 2012.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

From what my former shop has said in their explanations of the paywalls, any "major, breaking news", including weather alerts and things of that nature, would be free clicks. So none of that would be behind the paywall.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Gannett shop I just joined has had impressive online subscription success so far, but the print product is also growing quite rapidly under the new leadership, which translates directly. I've been against pay walls in the past, but it seems to be working here. The 15 stories design while logging IP addresses is also a good way to get readers coming from out of the coverage area without slapping them for a charge they'd never want to pay, while showing locals examples of a quality product worth subscribing to.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And where is this, assuming you're already using your real name and not outing yourself?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you think Matt Stephens is an assumed name, you haven't paid enough attention. :)

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I had that feeling.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Be careful with proclaiming that, there are others who will call you a thief because you had the audacity to clear a cookie on your own device.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

That's my name. Fort Collins. 25K circulation, up about 3K from two years ago. Granted, I'm still on an emotional high from starting a new gig and might be a little biased, but it's one of the few papers I've seen that has a morale in the newsroom which is extremely high. Interviewed at a couple of large metro dailies this spring and the people were nice, but it just seemed so, well, "quiet," I suppose you could say. Sports staff here has just jumped from three (plus SE) to five. A few of my college colleagues also just joined the staff and I think all of us took a decent circulation cut to be a part of this project (for lack of a better term), making this paper something great again and, so far, the numbers are promising.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

We've been behind a metered wall here in Tulsa for over a year now, and things have surprised many of us. Most people don't hit the wall (it's something like 10 or 15 stories, I think), and those who do have been pretty willing to pay. It's been pretty successful overall really, esp. when people realized they didn't have to pay for the print and digital products separately; all print subscribers get access to all our digital products (except for Kindle, I think, which is because of Amazon).

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I had been going to your site daily for about a year and a half because the Drillers manager is a friend of mine. I try to keep track of how he's doing and what he's saying.
    But when I reached the 10 free views a month limit and got blocked, I stopped. I can still keep track of how he's doing on the team site, but I miss out on what he's saying.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

That's cheating!

(Happy, Stitch?) ;)

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

If you move away and still want access to keep in touch with what's going on in that town, why shouldn't you be expected to subscribe to gain that access?

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I can tell you my TV station has absolutely no plan to go to a pay wall and the managers were borderline giddy to hear the local paper will be going to one.

Draft saved Draft deleted