1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More paywalls?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Jun 4, 2012.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I was running through my usual set of (mostly free) newspaper websites, and I see that the Des Moines Register is going to a paywall.

Not surprised, and I certainly expect more.

What are papers like New Orleans and Birmingham planning?

Would make sense for them to go, too.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Every Gannett paper is going to a paywall.
  3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

All pay walls are going to do is take eyeballs away from the traditional newspaper sites and put them on the free blogs.

My brother, a blogger, loves them.
  4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

At my shop the numbers have held steady, increased in some months, compared to a year ago.
  5. lantaur

lantaur Active Member

Or to TV sites which hire away newspaper reporters </crossthread>
  6. lantaur

lantaur Active Member

I don't want you to out yourself, but if possible would be curious the size of your paper. Smaller shops for sure have "advantage" with a pay wall in that there's little if any outside competition for the news they are reporting (i.e. small town).
  7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Active Member

Most TV sites will have to go to a paywall also. I know the TV station in our market said that once we go to a paywall (err, subscription model), they will follow.

I know a lot of people are shitting on papers for doing this (and I was one of them shitting on papers), but I think it may work.

I know plenty of people who pay for content on the internet (rivals.com, silly upgrades for silly games, etc.). I think initially it will be rejected, but eventually people will realize if they want to read about their local news from a "trusted" source, they'll have to pony up the $10 or so to get the information.

Of course, the key will be providing that content so they feel like they're getting their money's worth. Having a day-old story as your lead won't cut it.
  8. Jake_Taylor

Latest ABC numbers had us 22,000 daily, a little less than 25K on Sunday. It's a college town/small metro (population 100,000ish). Big, big metro area is a two hour drive. Triple-A city is an hour.
  9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I figure paywalls will work locally after a while, but it will cut down on readers browsing through papers in other areas. Or do they expect everyone to subscribe to all their favorite papers?
  10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Active Member

That was a question I raised in our meeting. I'm a transplant here and my wife and I still check our old newspapers from our hometown. One is already behind a paywall and the other is getting close. It sounds like there's not going to be a "Gannett package" option to allow you access to more than one paper.

The other interesting question was raised about hurricane coverage. We live in an area susceptible to hurricanes, and tons of people will leave the area during a storm. Will those people have to subscribe to get vital information about when/if they can return to the area?

I have a feeling those are all things that weren't discussed when the big wigs held their meetings.
  11. Jake_Taylor

Most seem to let you have 10-15 clicks in a month before they hit you up for money.
  12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Strib, for example, is 20. Delete my cookies, refresh the page and continue...
Draft saved Draft deleted