1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More on The Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The "people" who suggest that a move to the right would save certain newspapers are "nimrods" because they don't understand the industry. And if anyone's suggesting that right-leaning papers would do better financially if they went left, they're nimrods, too.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In point of fact, he was often off key, though it is said that he was likely seasick.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Inky is correct. It's not the politics that are threatening our industry, its just the economic times in general. Going conservative won't turn around the advertising slump, or restore all those columns of classifieds now on the likes of Craigslist or Yahoo, or restore the marketplace taken by bloggers and 24/7/365 cable news outlets ... except to those who see through red-state shaded glasses. But love letters to Palin, or giving space to the birthers, or hachet jobs on Pelosi aren't going to get those ads sold.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why is it that newspapers are liberal rags and talk radio is filled with right-wing windbags?

My theory is that the wingnuts can't read.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Still reads like someone ripping on only one side.

Boomer7 did a better job of explaining that no political slant will save traditional media.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Rev. Moon wants to buy it back and keep it open. http://journ.us/bBNHMi

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I've voted a straight Democrat ticket ever since I could. But I don't think the failure of the Times proves anything about conservative papers. The Moonie brand taints anything.

8. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

If the Washington Times goes under, it will be less about its conservative slant on the news and its opinions than it is about taking on a Goliath on Goliath's home turf.

The Washington Post rules the DC area. That is not a political preference statement; that is a simple economic fact.

Oh, and cutting out the sports section from the Times was a stupid decision at the time it was made and the failure to reinstate it has been a stupid decision since that date. The Washington Times sports section was very good. Despite being smaller and more constrained than the sports section at the Post, the Times sports section held its own. Evidence seems to indicate that other parts of the Times cannot make a similar claim...

Draft saved Draft deleted