1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More on The Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Aug 23, 2010.

1. VJ

VJ Member

That's absurd. It's business model involved losing millions each year and having the Unification Church hand over tens of millions to keep it afloat. Blaming the paper's demise on its politics is like saying the Titanic sunk because the harp player was terrible.

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Yeah, I wouldn't say they're thriving. But the original point is entirely valid. The countless readers/commenters who have seen every financial misfortune at the Globe, NY Times or WashPost in recent years as a rebuke of the liberal media needed to take a gander at the mostly empty Herald newsroom or spend a day with the Washington Times staff.

3. VJ

VJ Member

The original point isn't remotely valid. Newspapers aren't dying because of their politics. They're dying because of a business model that no longer works. Especially the Times' one, if you can even call it a business plan.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nobody made that point. At least, not the way I read it.

Hansen was talking about the people who dance on the graves of newspapers and say they cratered because they're part of the LIBRUHL MEDIA! Hansen's point, I believe, was whenever somebody says that, we should say "Pssst, conservative papers are in trouble too. It ain't politics that's causing the problems in our industry."

5. VJ

VJ Member

Well nevermind then. Clearly they're dying because I lack reading comprehension skills.

6. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

I work for an extremely conservative newspaper.

Our staff is bigger than it was five years ago. Our revenue is more than it was five years ago. Our circulation has dropped slightly, but I'd argue we're "thriving." It's about location and your readership.

Throwing out a blanket statement that conservative papers are dying and liberal ones are not is indeed absurd, as VJ said.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Newspapers' finances have nothing to do with their editorial position. The Times actually stopped being a newspaper to become a pure editorial position, and so it's gonna go toes up, because readers like news, not opinions. That has nothing to do with ideology, that's ALL opinion.
    If newspaper publishers weren't so into the idea of themselves as big shots, they'd shut down the editorial and op-ed sections of their newspapers in favor of more news. Talk about a product you get for free on the Internet.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You guys know this was sarcasm, right?

9. Inky_Wretch

Based on the responses here, it seems you aren't the only one.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't think I read the original statement incorrectly at all. Until it went down, this wasn't a newspaper that had a lot of sympathy around here. Its politics made it few friends at SportsJournalists.com.

If HAnSEnSE comes along and corrects me, I'll be happy to stand corrected.

The blue font is such a crutch these days . . .

11. Inky_Wretch

Piotr, as I said previously, I read "With all due respect and deep sympathies to unknown colleagues about to lose jobs, is this not the perfect reply to those nimrods who say "you should become a conservative paper" ever time there's a closure or cutbacks?" to mean "Hey nimrods, conservative papers are struggling too."

Perhaps I've read it incorrectly.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's all in the word choice.

Do "people" say that a certain publication's fortunes would improve if it were conservative? Or do "nimrods" say it? Would a "nimrod" also suggest a liberal slant? Or is that a wiser idea, beyond the "nimrods"?

Draft saved Draft deleted