1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More on The Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Aug 23, 2010.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

From http://www.dcrtv.com

Source: WashTimes Close To Running Final Edition - 8/23 - Another DCRTV exclusive. DCRTV hears that the Washington Times is close to closing. A source tells us that Reverend Moon's son, Preston, was prepared to close the Times as recently as last Friday. A press release was reportedly ready for distribution when an apparent last minute and revised offer to buy the paper was submitted, we hear. Sources say that the younger Moon and another board member of TWT are "finished" with the paper and that they couldn't care less about any amount of money that is offered. "It is now about showing Daddy Moon who has the bigger cajones," a source tells DCRTV. " If this offer - and it is a reasonable one - is rejected, the paper could close its doors this week, just shy of 30 years in the Nation's Capital." According to a source with knowledge of the situation: "The paper has large debt load but there is a buyer. Normally, this would be a good thing for a seller. In the zany world of the Moon family, and the son's disregard for the family's wishes, it looks like the final edition is imminent." More soon.....

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Well duh. You take away the sports -- which, according to what I've heard, was one of the things in the paper that WAS working -- and you take away a reason to buy the paper. Not surprised this is true, if it is.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

With all due respect and deep sympathies to unknown colleagues about to lose jobs, is this not the perfect reply to those nimrods who say "you should become a conservative paper" ever time there's a closure or cutbacks?

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

This is sad but hardly surprising.

I'll tell you what. I admire the hell out of former The Washington Times sports staffers who have stayed professional through this whole thing and tried to carve out a niche by themselves.

I read two of those guys *more* now than I did when they were at the newspaper. I wish all of them well, particularly those who have not yet found full-time work.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Yes. Yes, it is.

6. Aren't quite a few newspapers a year or two behind the Washington Times? The decline of paper is inclusive, both liberal and conservative.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Absolutely.

It's striking, really. Every single newspaper that is seen as having a liberal slant is thriving, while every single conservative newspaper is failing. The inevitable loss of the Washington Times can only be blamed on its political views, and nothing else.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Same here. A friend was one of those cut loose when sports collapsed there, but thankfully, he found work pretty quickly.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think Hansen was referring to those who think the voice of the Tea Party would suddenly result in better financial health for newspapers and not saying "Ha, ha liberal papers rule!"

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

The almost shut down for lack of sale Boston Globe - liberal slant major metro - is thriving?

hmmm

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The Washington Times would never have survived on its own. Its continued existence was the product of its benefactors' generosity, notwithstanding the good work that was in fact done there.

12. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

No newspapers are thriving. A few are surviving, but none are what they were a few years ago. The latest two on the chopping happen to be ultraconservative rags. There have been plenty of papers with liberal slants that have failed in recent months.

Draft saved Draft deleted