1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More on the future of newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 5, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No Outing allowed. ;)

Honestly, I don't see why such well-versed analysts can't recognize that reading habits change as people grow and mature. Sure his teen-age daughter isn't reading the newspaper. That does NOT mean she will not be picking up the paper when she is 30, or 35, or 40 ... or pursuing news off Web sites.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I dunno, man. Veteran print people -- and I still consider myself one -- are hoping that's the case, but they're not growing up with a paper at all.

Now, this isn't necessarily bad. We've talked about it before; they simply might be getting all the "newspaper" news electronically as they grow up. Still will be a need to write it, edit it, make it look nice and deliver it.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

My friends didn't grow up with a paper either, SF. I did ... because I had the passion for newspapering. But they didn't.

They read it now.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Future of newspapers depends largely on the future of trees.

6. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

I was sitting in the living room skimming a couple of sports sections. My teenage daughter was sitting across from me reading the features section. I go make a sandwich, come back, eat it, finish the skimming and she's still there reading.

Me: "Reading something good?"
    Her: "Yeah, hold on."

Several minutes later.

Her: "Those were good stories."
    Me: "Wow. Little miss 'I have everything on my Blackberry" actually takes time to read the paper?"
    Her: "Daddy, I always take time to read the good stories."
    Me: "Oh, the good stories?"
    Her: "Don't worry daddy, I read yours, too."

She laughed, grabbed her back pack and took off for school.

I bring up the story because each time one of these threads appears, I go back to thinking about why people leave newspapers. Without knowing she told me, my teenager convinced me it's because of a shortage of good stories in every section of every paper every day.

In reading the Vanifesto, I thought it was interesting that he wanted a centerpiece story every day. I thought it was highly ambitious,too. But that one little sentence tells so much.

"I always take time to read the good stories."

Put more good stories in the paper and maybe we'll keep the readers we have and reclaim a few of readers we've lost.

7. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Great story... and quite the funny daughter you got there.

On Sunday, I woke up at my parents and we were all sitting around reading the paper, when my girlfriend was awfully quite for a few minutes. She was reading the main story on 1A about caring for the mental ill or something. She's the kind of person who's always on the go, never has time to do anything during the day, but here she was, relaxing on Sunday morning and reading a quality newspaper story.

In other words, you're right OneMoreRead... people will always take time to read the good stories.

Good thing that's all I write. ;)

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That's the problem...
    I knew it was the writers. Damn writers. Killing the industry.
    START WRITING GOOD STORIES. No pressure. :)

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Amen.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

We still have those readers. They just read it on the Web.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yep. For free.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, it would be nice if that would change...

Draft saved Draft deleted