1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More on NY Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Feb 13, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

And I just realized that Hondo got the link from the Big Lead... http://thebiglead.com/?p=4607

"But, but, but, we're just linking to what Chick Dubinsky wrote. Does it matter that we didn't even make a phone call or that it might not be true?"

I'm not even going to wait for Double Down...

[​IMG]

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

There are men who watched "Steel Magnolias"?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've heard of Shelly Dubinsky, but not Chick

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

Fixed again.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Point, please.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The Big Lead is a fraud. Of course, I'll be told (again) that I'm a hater.

Still waiting for the apologies to Albert Pujols and maligned members of the Florida State football team, and for him to lob Rick Reilly a real question days after writing about his press-box cavorting.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Wick, I hope you're not holding your breath.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dude, other papers fuck up too. what's your fucking point?

Now please go to my site and look at my Kim Kardashian ass pics.

BLOGS!!!!!

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Big Lead puts out a few feelers to his sources for the inside scoop on the fucking idiots at the Daily News, and also to find out who Matt Leinart is fucking this week. Megan Fox, hopefully. He'll find a blog somewhere speculating about it, so he can link to it and insinuate that it's fact.

10. danews

danews New Member

Linking that crap was a bs move by thebiglead.
    But the guy does score good interviews. The one he did with Mike Vaccaro of the New York Post comes to mind. Vaccaro would be a great by the News to fill the column void but he'd last 10 minutes with Lupica.
    http://thebiglead.com/?p=2091
    This excerpt is priceless:
    I can only speak for myself here, but there are two problems I have with what’s become of him. First, and foremost, is that he simply doesn’t put nearly as much time or effort into the column as he once did. That’s indisputable. He does TV. He writes books, sometimes two a year. He writes his left-wing screeds in the Daily News on Wednesdays. So it’s clear the column suffers for that. He hardly ever travels. He hasn’t covered one Knicks game in person this year, despite ripping them every week. And that’s just the obvious symptoms. Beyond that, I’ve heard him give his explanation for why he doesn’t show up as often anymore, and it’s essentially this: After nearly 30 years writing a column in New York, he’s not going to see anything he hasn’t already seen before. And to me, that not only insults those of us who do think it’s worthwhile to get to the ballpark and the arena – specifically the other columnists at the News who have to make up for the work he finds so unnecessary and inconsequential – but it’s an affront to the very essence of column writing, which is to be accountable and available, to be there.

The other issue I have, frankly, is the way he treats people. I’ve been around too many good, talented people who also write columns for a living – Dave Anderson leaps to mind, and Harvey Araton, and Filip Bondy, and Mark Kriegel, and Bob Ryan, Steve Serby, and Bill Plaschke, it’s a substantial list – who believe that treating others properly is just as much a part of having a high-profile job as anything else. They won’t throw a public fit if they don’t like the seat they’ve been given. They won’t threaten to have people fired in a hissy fit. One of the great ironies, to me, is that Mike made his bones in this business by standing up to Dick Young, who in his declining years became a bitter ideologue who took great pleasure in ripping other writers in his columns. Young, I have to believe, is having a great laugh right now whenever he reads Lupica writing about “the coverage” of the local teams from high atop his Connecticut perch.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Lupica has to wake up every morning, knowing that Vaccaro is better at his job than Loopy is, at his.

That's some satisfaction.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That was one elegant and surgical carving of the Midget.
    Loved it.

Draft saved Draft deleted