1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More on Melissa Isaacson's Award . . . and the Trib . . . in her own words

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OldKentuckyHome, May 1, 2009.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

If that's the case, then we'd all be completely anonymous to our bosses in this job climate...

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yeah. That was years ago.
    Now, they know everyone, and it's for an unfortunate reason.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Your point is 100 percent on-the-money.

This happens at my shop, too -- the ME and publisher, who wouldn't recognize a soul in the newsroom if they happened to walk in after 6 p.m., will chat you up like they're your best buddy if they suddenly need your help or want something from you. The ME will act like he knows what goes on at night, but all he knows is what's in the tattle-tale e-mail our ratfink of a night editor sends him.

Truthfully, the brass who can't be bothered to get to know people "beneath them" should just act like the cold, clueless people they are and save their energy.

4. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Met and talked with Melissa many years ago when a team she covered was playing a team I covered. Very nice. Very professional. Always read her stuff since then whenever I could.

Sucks that she could be let go.

5. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

What Melissa Isaacson did for 25 years and how she did it are the best reasons for a newspaper's existence. She did it in sports. And she did it, for all time, in this feature -- it's the "damned plaque" feature -- written in tribute to her parents:

www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-alzheimers-parents,0,1212268.story

6. Creig Ewing

Creig Ewing Member

Missy is a super writer, colleague and friend.

The way this business is treating people is just soul deadening.

She is a talent and will do well.

7. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Re-reading the story on her parents just infuriates me even more about how this business is treating such remarkably talented people, as well as those of us who aren't nearly as talented but strive to be so.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the link to her award winning story. I read every word. That was a great great story. Congratulations to Melissa for being a great writer. I don't see how the Tribune could treat her that way. That ME must be heartless. It was informative and heartbreaking at the same time. I wish I could write that well.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Oh man. I read that before, the last time it was posted here. It just crushed me. I can't get into that again. What a piece.

By the way, Dave, my wife's grandparents are your old neighbors, and her grandfather talks about you quite a bit. So, I don't know, hi, I guess.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think it's crazy. I worked at a paper for five years and might have been in the same room as the ME two times.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have it on pretty good authority that Missy is a regular here.

She's handled this with nothing but class. The same can't be said for Tribune Co. but that's nothing new...

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Melissa Isaacson and people like her are the heart and soul of this business.

How many Melissa's have been laid off?? Fricking hundreds.
    Higher ups at the Tribune should be ashamed of themselves. Like most ME's the one in question here obviously kissed up to get through the ranks. Keep kissing ass ME ... you'll be out of a job like the rest of us when the business dies.

Draft saved Draft deleted