1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More on Gatehouse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bob, Feb 14, 2008.

1. bob

bob Member

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/02/14/publisher_gatehouse_to_cut_60_mass_jobs/

Gatehouse, the outfit that sent an Ohio paper to the Super Bowl, but not any of its MA outlets (not that it was historic event or anything), has axed about 60 positions in MA, mostly at The Patriot Ledger and Brockton Enterprise, both of which are already operating with skeleton staffs.
    They whacked the Brockton SE, a good guy who's been in the business for more than 40 years, and at that position for somewhere around 20. They apprently have put the Patriot Ledger SE in charge of both departments.
    I also hear that they want to start de-emphasizing pro sports, which is a kiss of death in an area that is rabid about its pro teams.
    Say a prayer for those guys.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jeebus.
    Might need to start a running "cuts" thread.

3. bob

bob Member

Or start a new Web site called Ex-SportsJournalists.com

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No comment.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I work at a GateHouse paper, and I have to say, it scares me to death when I read this stuff. We're one of their better money-makers, but there's no telling what they might do if profits start to slip.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Merge the damn Enterprise and Ledger already.

Both papers are a joke now, with the way staff has been whacked.

7. BRoth

BRoth Member

They just cut about 20 jobs from the Patriot Ledger in November, if I remember correctly.

8. What a f-ing bloodbath. Was Bill A. the only casualty in Brockton sports? Man this sucks. Lots of good people in Brockton who don't deserve this stress -- especially at this stage of many of their lives/careers.

9. bob

bob Member

Yes, Bill A was the only casualty, but his deputy was shifted to a Web role. As it is, they have only two full-timers left, temporarily, because one of their guys has a health issue.

10. Thanks Bob

Draft saved Draft deleted