1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More on a budget than ever, how should a new free-lance writer be equipped?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

pseudo is correct. The recording contraption can be purchased at Radio Shack. In fact, here it is: http://tinyurl.com/234osn

The headset has to have both an in and out audio, and it has to be hardwired. No wireless bluetooth stuff. Adrian initially bought me a headset without a mic. I could hear the other person, but they couldn't hear me. I have one similar to this: http://tinyurl.com/67c8gt

Obviously, this is a better option if you already have a digital recorder. If not, you can pick up a low-end Olympus for about $50. One of these days, I'm going to do an interview from the beach.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

When I record off a cell speakerphone with a digital recorder, playback is almost entirely unintelligible. There is feedback from the cell's radio that covers almost every word. Does anyone else have this problem?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

At one point earlier on this thread, I recommended IBM's new OpenOffice-based Lotus Symphony suite of open-source productivity applications as one possibility for freelancers looking to save a few bucks.

I was wrong. Major resource hog and I found it slow as hell. I forcefully withdraw the recommendation.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

My immediate problem is this: I have a laptop that has no modem, so to send I need a wireless connection or hard-wiring. I bought an AT&T Laptop Connect Card when I thought I was about to go to work for a local Web site, but after they crashed and burned, I returned the card (on the 30th and final day I could get a full refund).

Bluetooth dial-up is not a possibility because during the setup process, I learned the laptop and my BlackBerry are not compatible (very, very strange). So, I dumped the Bluetooth tethering plan I had just bought.

I seem to remember someone saying they could write a story on their laptop, send it to their BlackBerry somehow (with a direct cable, maybe?) and then e-mail it from their BlackBerry to the paper. Can anyone verify this? Walk me through the steps? That would solve my problem for a prep game I've been asked to cover tomorrow night.

(I hope this is possible without adding some features, because I can't afford to add any features to my phone right now. None.)

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

A Flip Video camera would be an awesome accessory to have if you're doing any light video work. The thing is roughly $100. Shoots an hour of video. Fits in your pocket and plugs right into your computer via a flip out usb port.

The quality is just about at the level a decent video camera would provide, but the key is portability. If you have that camera on you and something awesome is happening in front of your eyes, you can whip it out and be recording in seconds. I could also see where this device could come in handy as an alternative way for recording postgame interviews.

6. Sneed

Sneed Guest

How handy are iPhones? I'll be in the market for a new phone come July or so and really, really want one, but would only seriously consider actually dishing out for one if they'd be worthwhile in freelance type work.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Depends on the work, I'd think. I'm a freelancer without an iPhone, Blackberry, etc., just a basic cell. I've never felt like not having one hampered me from doing my job, and my job includes some deadline work.

8. In terms of laptops, go with an inexpensive version, say a netbook. I use my Asus Eee for assignments (and I'm not freelancing). The souped up laptops are fine but are you really going to need a DVD burner or high-speed graphic card to use photoshop. As for word processing programs, Google Docs will work just fine so long as you have an Internet connection. For no frills basics, I prefer a program called Dark Room which is a text editor but done in the old green-screen style of monochrome monitors.

You can do a lot with Web-based apps, too. A reasonable PhotoShop substitute is FotoFlexer that I have been quite happy with.

9. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I have a Macbook Pro, but I saved for six months and bought it primarily because I'd need a powerful laptop on which to run Adobe CS3 to design my college's student newspaper while away from the office.

I'd recommend a Mac of some sort if you can afford them and like them, though. They're freakin' amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted