1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More on a budget than ever, how should a new free-lance writer be equipped?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Aug 16, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I have OpenOffice at home, and it can produce some formatting nightmares when later trying to open a file in Office.

2. derwood

derwood Active Member

There are lots of issues with OS X version of OpenOffice such as tracked changes. If you are freelancing windows and ubuntu are much better because of price and third party software.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Have never had that problem. What version are you using?

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

3.0.0 Beta Build:9328

Problem only happens if someone sends me a document created by MS Office that uses tracked changes.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And here I am... with an extra, unused copy of MS Office Enterprise and no need for it... Can't sell it on ebay because it's an education version.... what to do, what to do...

6. 2muchcoffeeman

That's what happens when you play around with beta software --- sometimes not all the features work right. Beta software is good for testing but not (normally) for day-to-day work.

Current release version is 2.4.1. There's also a newer release of the 3.0.0 beta if you insist on living dangerously.

7. derwood

derwood Active Member

I know however someone had referred to this version (OS X native) earlier. The one you are using requires X11 server.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

Try NeoOffice. Same code base as OpenOffice 2.x.x but translated to the Aqua interface.

Or you could pony up the money for the home version of MS Office for OS X.

EDIT: Have you tried opening your Word documents in Apple's TextEdit? Helluva program.

9. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Make sure you have a recording device that works with your cell phone. My system features a headset with a mic, a little black recording contraption and a digital voice recorder. Since you'll be working from home, you might not be at a desk when that key source calls.

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Where did you find that (and how much did it cost)?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

My two cents: You won't need those bells and whistles (which sound expensive) if you get a cell phone with a speaker phone. Comes in very handy when you're driving and someone calls and you want to record the conversation. Just have the digital (or tape!) recorder nearby and ready to go. Oh and roll up the window and turn down that damn music.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

You can find the "wireless phone recording controller" at RadShack for $20. One cord goes to your cellphone, the other into your recorder. (Everyone already has both of those, correct?) Add your headset -- the same one that plugs into your phone -- and you're good to go.

Speaking of digital recorders, I know there have been other threads about them, but I have to give a positive review to the Olympus VN-4100PC. Easily fits in a pocket, can record for up to 144 hours in LP mode, and plugs into a USB port to download to the computer. (Not compatible with Macs, unfortunately.)

Draft saved Draft deleted